water tank sealer or rebuild

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages
daveness

water tank sealer or rebuild

Post by daveness » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:53 pm

Towards the bottom of the end you can see a pinhole leak where the rust is coming out. Next to that is a past patch. I suspect this water tank from my 1903 Cadillac is rusting from the inside out. What to do? I'd rather not keep patching. Have new tank made? Is there a sealer that could work? I checked with Hirsh about using their gas tank sealers but they don't recommend it if the water gets hot. Any ideas on how to fix this and any ideas of who and how much to build a new one? Thanks, Dave
Attachments
IMG_5577.jpg

alsfarms

Re: water tank sealer or rebuild

Post by alsfarms » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:05 am

Dang that rust!!!! If it weren't for rust our restorations would be so much easier! I would take your tank to a good fab shop, if you don't have tools to roll the shell and have them duplicate tank. Are you involved with a very active internet group that specifically does early Cad lilacs? If not, my tip of the day is to join the ECG (Early Cadillac Group). They always have parts being made and topics under discussion from some very active restorers of early Cadillac's.
Al

daveness

Post by daveness » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:36 pm

Thanks Al. I am a member of the ECG and I'll reach out to them. I've done so on the Single Cylinder Cadillac Group on FB but the forum (email list) would be good for ECG. I do think I'm leaning towards having a new one made.

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:14 pm

Is the Facebook Cad. Single cylinder group an active bunch? I am not real active on Facebook.
Al