1909 Locomobile Toy Tonneau, Rebuild Improvements for Reliability

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages
jeff deringer

Re: 1909 Locomobile Toy Tonneau, Rebuild Improvements for Reliability

Post by jeff deringer » Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:03 am

Pretty amazing to find a nice hood like that for a rare car! Nice.

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:15 pm

another picture of the original hood showing the hardware.
Al
Attachments
ACtC-3d9lSl6kHA4cLQewxGESNzHtc6DRwcORefb2FGgpgGGstwuGVmWADXG0AKY9VUSnWkfNtlohRmHHGKKcWLpLlJ6Gd3rH2gHPno6BeTAszIRDIjNQvzY1qHRzLVmx1Wf9maWo8TRAxsUbT08NdvGAjF5=w632-h910-no.jpg

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:16 pm

another picture showing paint detail.
Al
Attachments
ACtC-3dDXcLDTjj8NIIm84rldvF2Ek8JDGUO6f5Xw3wAW3x5MN00wsAiTF1bOeVrFE0IS38pOL9_ZJPZsA46r2anmiYyjxbTcszXcSdrE1gi3zk5SK6fP1V0ipJanx45T2Msx82XMoVRBqBC98FUnLTCNC3-=w683-h910-no.jpg

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:31 am

I have just received a "Tip" that could be a benefit to those who are reading here. Almost all of us, at one time or another, needs to have springs reproduced to certain specifications for our antique automobiles. Here is a reference for an Amish shop that does duplicate springs.
E & L Spring
16035 Nauvoo Rd.
Middlefield, Ohio

I will be contacting this shop to see if they can correct the eyes on a set of new springs that I had made elsewhere for the Locomobile and require a rework to fit bushings. I will post a follow-up on how this source turns out.
Al

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:07 am

"Tip of the Day" .... it is important to see and appreciate what went into our early automobile projects. In the case of Locmobile, they did it all, sourcing very little from outside means. Even in the early days of automobile development, the manufacturing process was huge and all steps required oversee by engineers. Locomobile had Andrew Riker as the lead. I appreciate more what we admire today knowing what went into them when new.
Al
Attachments
ohrgdW5e.jpeg

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:51 am

alsfarms wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:07 am
"Tip of the Day" .... it is important to see and appreciate what went into our early automobile projects. In the case of Locomobile, they did it all, sourcing very little from outside means. Even in the early days of automobile development, the manufacturing process was huge and all steps required oversee by engineers. Locomobile had Andrew Riker as the lead. I appreciate more what we admire today knowing what went into them when new.
Al

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed Dec 09, 2020 6:46 pm

"Tip of the Day"
I am busy restoring some original doors on my Victorian 1899 home. The past 120 years of paint varnish crud have taken a toll. I was pondering what to do to clean up the door hardware and prep for new plating or installation. My wife, bless her heart is active helping me and suggested that she had heard of a simple method to save time and mess when it comes to cleaning brass, nickle and iron parts. She was given a crock pot (slow cooker) that she used for this technique. Simply put your small parts, that are all crudded up with tarnish, paint, glue and grime, in the bottom of the crock pot, fill half way with water and turn on to a low boil and let cook for 8 hours. I can verify that all the junk just slips off and the hard tarnish is way easier to do the finish work on with a brass cleaner. I am impressed and thought I would share this idea. The temps do not get high enough to do any damage, to the base metal, but sure helps to remove all the unwanted stuff! I have some Locomobile parts that will get a boiling hot bath!
Al

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:49 am

I am after a "Tip" or two regarding the use of any of the Caswell home plating kits. It appears that they have about anything material to cover about anything. I certainly can see a big plus for those of us that need to plate small parts. Share your experience with Caswell products here.
Al

cudaman

Post by cudaman » Sat Jan 09, 2021 4:01 am

I bought one of their small nickel plating kits, I am happy with the results. I use it to nickel plate small parts like tire valve stem dust covers, windshield pivot thumb nuts, and such. I dip my parts in the solution, I have not tried using their little brush. It only takes a few minutes for the kit to put down a layer of nickel that lasts for years under normal use.

One tip - rotate the part and agitate the solution occasionally to ensure even coverage. Also, don't get the part too close to the opposite electrode or you will get a black "burned" look on the side of the part facing the electrode. The black polishes off, but makes for extra work.

Like paint work, the finish is only as good as the prep. Be sure to clean and polish the part well, then do a final cleaning to eliminate any traces of grease or fingerprints. Good luck! :)

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:09 pm

Hello Cudaman,
Thanks for your post and attending "Tips". Have you used any of the other Caswell plating kits? Like chrome, gold, nickle or copper?
Al

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:10 pm

Cudaman, I just thought of another question. Did your Caswell kit include the power source or did you simply use a transformer?
Al

cudaman

Post by cudaman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:44 am

The kit included a small transformer as a power source. No, I have not tried any of their other plating kits. The plating solution comes in a tall, narrow neck bottle, so you have to pour the solution into a suitable container to hold your parts, then pour the used solution back into the bottle when you're done.

Here is an example of small parts I have done with the kit. These parts were bare brass when I started. I washed them, gave them a quick polish, and put them in the plating solution for a few minutes. I could have achieved much shinier results if I had spent more time polishing, but these match the patina of the rest of my car.
Attachments
dust_covers_and_bases.jpg
dust_covers_and_bases.jpg (59.05 KiB) Viewed 2890 times

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:21 am

Cudaman, Thanks for your pictures and information. When doing this Nickel plating, is it important to have all the old plating stripped off before replating? Did you find Caswell tech folks to be a good source for specific information?
Al

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:25 am

A few additional questions, would you share the part number of the kit you purchased to get the results you achieved? How many square inches of material can likely be plated with the kit you purchased? How much surface area could you plate with the kit you purchased, at one time? Could you use a toy train transformer for a power source?
Al

Craig Correll

Post by Craig Correll » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:51 pm

I'm also interested in your experience with Caswell kits (and the specific kit you used). I've got a 1912 MICHIGAN, Model K that has little bits of nickel trim all over the thing. Plating here in California costs a fortune - which is acceptable for big important parts. BUT....the cost of plating little stuff like nuts and screws is really painful. Anxious to hear of your experience.

cudaman

Post by cudaman » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:26 pm

I bought their smallest kit on Ebay because I only had a few small parts to do. If I was planning on doing larger or more quality critical parts, I certainly would have gone to their website and talked to them to get their recommendations.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Plug-N-Plate-B ... SwwWpfSrcu

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:17 pm

Hello Cudaman,
I think I will need at least the 1.5 gal. kit. I am also thinking about one of the copper kits to go under the Nickel.
Al

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:37 am

While in the dead of the winter and also dealing with covid-19 issues, (haven't been sick yet), I decided to get some castings built to put together a set of running board side-mount brackets. Attached is a picture of the first piece I am recasting. This piece is a duplicate of an original so the new castings will be as original. When I get these new castings back, I will modify the original to have a mounting plate to mount directly to the running board. The last two pieces will be the upper, under the seat mounting bracket and the cowling upper mounting bracket. These brackets are sized for a 34" x 4-1/2" or 35" x 5" sized tire. This set is larger than what you will find on smaller Buicks or Model T Fords. If you are in need of side mount brackets for a current of future project send me a PM. I am happy to be getting something done on the Locomobile in-spite of covid-19 or winter snow. Tip of the day is to keep doing something not nothing.
Al
ACtC-3c0r4PI2s-AnOgcZwrviXPIuC59wG53g02NVO7ouBXC5VNRXL1bc4ojigOtdGYccWncIyzZn3YR2mBNUGQIoQS9wL_mXKSYHKiFDofIOe_l0OVArIX8kIZ85Fu1kmFbH4iKU8Z0lTgDa9cE5AlQZhiT=w683-h910-no.jpg

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:16 am

I am searching for a "Tip" for some information on the Vanderbilt Trophy radiator cap ornament. I have purchased a reproduction trophy cap ornament as found on my posting/picture on Oct. 18 on this forum. If you have an original trophy or know who has one, could you please share a reference.
Al

hcca
Site Admin

Post by hcca » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:06 pm

Great to see your progress Al; think you'll do better submitting a Classified Ad for the last post ... Forums aren't for ads