Your best brass car trailer specifications?

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here

Your best brass car trailer specifications?

Postby Cadillac Bill » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:17 pm

I want to have a good trailer. Looks like I want to have one built. What specifications would you want?

Thanks, Bill
Last edited by Cadillac Bill on Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadillac Bill

Re: Your best brass car trailer

Postby oakland12 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:19 pm

Hi Bill
You'll have to come up with your specific requirements for a trailer before I could comment. Do you need an over height trailer? What length? How heavy is your antique? What is your tow vehicle? In my case I was able to find in town a great smaller, enclosed trailer suitable for my T. I also have a larger, over height trailer for my big, heavy car that I also found locally. If you're flexible a bit on requirements then you shouldn't have to special order a trailer.
Just my thoughts
Ken
oakland12

Re: Your best brass car trailer

Postby Cadillac Bill » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:45 am

Ken

24 foot Vee nose trailer
8 foot clearance inside height
7k tandem axles
heavy duty ramp
Carry a 7k car
84" between inside fenders, minimum
Short height inside fender wells (a plus, but not critical), I sometimes carry 1950s cars. They have lower, wider bodies.
8.5 foot wide
Bumper pull
Bogey wheels
Possibly blackout or two tone paint
No need for escape door, but a plus.

Nice looking in the middle higher end. Featherlite is overkill to me. Probably in the Pace American or a great used aluminum trailer.
LED Lights, electric tongue jack. generator door, coin floor, DOT Tape, TPM (Tire Pressure Monitors) all a plus, but I can install these cheaper than the factory options.

I use a 2016 GMC Denali Diesel Dually. It will pull anything.

LED Lights, electric tongue jack. generator door, coin floor, DOT Tape, TPM (Tire Pressure Monitors) all a plus, but I can install these cheaper than the factory options.

I have a 36-foot gooseneck Featherlite, but no more than 6'2" inside header clearance. 81" between inner fenders. Fenders are 13" high and I have 1/2 inch body clearance with my 1950s. Good pull, but like bumper better and can better use my camper shell on my dually to carry extra stuff. I can load all my brass cars with the tops down. Pulls sweet on the road.

Also have a 7 k tri-axle equipment 24-foot hydraulic tilt, good fit, but better want an enclosed trailer and incorporate into one trailer. Tri-axles scrub too much on turns and hard to back up
Attachments
IMG_4626.JPG
9 (Medium).JPG
IMG_3266 1.JPG
Cadillac Bill

Re: Your best brass car trailer specifications?

Postby davewhite » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:11 pm

You might look at TPD Trailers in Sacramento. They will build whatever you want, but are expensive. Everyone I know that has one really likes it. I am planning on having one made (because of the over-height need). I have not had much luck finding an over-height quality used trailer. -Dave
davewhite

Postby MochetVelo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:28 pm

This was a recent topic on the AACA Forum:

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/303504-any ... -trailers/

Phil
MochetVelo

Postby F12MAC » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:37 am

catbird and cadillac bill is the same person Hence the same thread
F12MAC

Postby MochetVelo » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:51 pm

Another good source is the Model T Forum where there have been numerous trailer discussions. Search Google under "trailer mtfca" or similar to find some.

Phil
MochetVelo

Postby Freighter Jim » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:05 pm

I tow every day.

Start with the basics:

What vehicle(s) are you going to be hauling ?

( Establish length - width - height of payload )

What is the maximum towin capacity of the vehicle you are pulling with ?

( Varies with each vehicle )

Deduct the weight of the vehicle(s) you are hauling from the maximum towing capacity of your pulling vehicle,
what remains is the curb weight of the empty trailer you can safely tow.

Because I transport all type & manner of vehicles - I pull a 34 foot custom built 8.5 foot wide enclosed car hauler trailer that is just under 40 feet long.

I opted for a steel tube full perimeter frame - mine is 8 inch with a center tongue 8 inch beam that runs to the first axle for added strength.

I have an 8 foot rear door clearance - I opted for barn doors on the rear because I transport a variety of vehicles - a ramp door suitable for
the weight of what I load at times would need a separate winch in the ceiling to assist in raising & lowering the weight of the door.

I also have curb side barn doors that open up to 7 feet 6 inches wide x 6 feet tall for side loading of parts and pallets.

This makes my empty trailer realtively heavy - 7700 pounds empty.

Jim

file-2 (13).jpeg

file (9).jpeg

Pierce Arrow.JPG

IMG_7713.JPG
Freighter Jim

Hey Bill

Postby Freighter Jim » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:17 am

It took me awhile to make the connection ... :idea:

See you in a few weeks ... :wink:

Jim
Freighter Jim