Penetrating Oil Test

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages

Penetrating Oil Test

Postby MochetVelo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Here's a recent video that tests various penetrating oils including ATF/Acetone mix, AeroKroil, Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, Royal Purple and WD-40. What's your favorite?

ATF/Acetone mix, AeroKroil, Liquid Wrench, PB Blaster, Royal Purple and WD-40

https://youtu.be/xUEob2oAKVs

Phil
MochetVelo

Re: Penetrating Oil Test

Postby jeff deringer » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:58 am

I've seen test results where the homemade mixture is the most effective, but I have always preferred Permatex. I just think it works better than any of the other commercial products.
jeff deringer

Re: Penetrating Oil Test

Postby ddunlavy » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:29 am

Interesting video. The well thought out test does not equate to real life. My set of 5 PASCO wheels required new spokes when I purchased them. I went out and bought a used oxy-acy set. Used it a bit but soon found it wasn't enough by itself. Bought a can of Liquid Wrench. That worked better. A customer of mine who owned a machine shop and was restoring a 30-something Ford truck said I was wasting a lot of time. I should use Kroil. Got some. Now I buy it by the 5 gallon drums.
Results were with LW after nipple started to move and reapplied LW, I could get the nipple off relatively well. Remember, I had 60 times 5 spokes to do. The Kroil applied after first movement, did something - lets call it "dissolved" the rust. After first noticeable movement, reapply Kroil. Tap a few times. Reapply Kroil. After a few times, I was able to unscrew the nipple with my fingers. The LW always felt gritty using the same re-apply method.
This is "Real World" conditions. Been doing it for more than 30 years.
ddunlavy

Return to Restoration Tips & Advice