Motor Muster and Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here

Motor Muster and Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village

Postby MartyBufalini » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:31 am

Is any one at all concerned about the big changes taking place this year at the above events? Are you aware of the changes? Did you get the letter? I know a lot of you don't go (distance) but a lot of folks do go. Given the changes, will you be going this year?

There is a lot of concerns with some of the other clubs and I'd like to know your opinion(s)/feeling(s) about the changes.

Thanks.
MartyBufalini

Re: Motor Muster and Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village

Postby MartyBufalini » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:48 pm

No one has a feeling one way or the other about the changes???
MartyBufalini

Postby oldcarfudd » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:07 pm

There's a lot of rant on the Model T website, because a lot of Model Ts appear to be going to be excluded from a festival that wouldn't exist but for the Model T. The folks who run the Lansing-Dearborn, which the OCF no longer supports, are considering whether to change the location and/or venue of their event. The idea of paying 50 bucks to apply to show your car at the OCF, which 50 bucks is NOT refunded if your car is denied participation, is not going over well at all. I'd say there are a lot of hard feelings right now.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder
oldcarfudd

Postby Kermit1950 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:14 am

I can't figure out what they are trying to do!! $50 and if not accepted none refundable?? No camping?? $20 for extra bands.... Limit of 40 bicycles!! No Lansing to Dearborn run!! They need to remember there will not be a car show without participants. I've been going since the mid 1970's and have a lot of great memories, but it looks as though that is what it is going to be.. memories.. After retiring from Michigan and moving to Florida that didn't stop me still was trailering my 12 T there.. Hopefully someone will wake up and realize we put a lot of work and money into these car shows for people (and our) enjoyment!!
Kermit1950

Postby MartyBufalini » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:25 am

Kermit, I totally agree. It seems a lot of participants will not be participating this year. I do not know why they are limiting the bicycles and, I believe, motorcycles. They sure don't take up much room.

oldcarfudd, The Henry Ford has been talking about limiting the number of Model Ts and Model As for a long time now, they just haven't been able to figure out how to do it fairly. I believe the Lansing to Dearborn folks will HAVE to change their venue because, as I understand it, they have been excluded from OCF.

Let's not forget the Motor Muster for those that have cars for that show. The same changes/limitations apply to MM, too.

I fully understand the organizers' concerns regarding trailer, camper parking. They really have run out of off-site room.

I appreciate your input and would welcome more.

I plan on calling the organizers today to see if I can get some answers/reasons for the changes.
MartyBufalini

Postby skillsun » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:23 am

Our family has been going to the Old Car Festive every year since 1972. It always has been a family outing that the kids and adults enjoyed very much. When I received the letter making all those unnecessary changes they have ruined that show and the family has voted to not attend unless they change their mind on some of the changes. They use to provide dinner on Saturday Night, Coffee and Rolls on Sunday morning but that has been taken away and now we have to pay to attend plus do all the work to get our cars ready for show.

NO THANKS
skillsun

Postby Buick Truck Guy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:37 pm

I have had vehicles in both the Motor Muster & the Old Car Festival shows.

I have already decided that unless there are changes we will not be going to the Motor Muster this year with either of the two vehicles that have been taking.

I am waiting for a while to see if there are any changes to the Old Car Festival.
Buick Truck Guy

Postby MartyBufalini » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:41 am

FYI:  I spoke with Sarah Gaynier at The Henry Ford on Thursday and we had a nice talk regarding the changes.  They are aware that people are upset about the changes, but I got the sense that they are not aware of the depth of how people are upset, nor what appears to be a partial exodus from the events.  I am waiting for a response on one more item from her and, hopefully, will have more information on Monday.  I will post something then.
MartyBufalini

Postby MartyBufalini » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:04 pm

I'm such a dope. I thought I posted this last evening but I must have written it and then didn't hit post. Sorry.

Based on my conversations, it is clear that you should write constructive letters about your concerns staying positive and polite. This is probably the best bet for getting our voice heard. Outline specific concerns and perhaps suggestions on how to address our concerns would be best. I am URGING, that letters be written. But, if at all possible, NOT INDIVIDUAL LETTERS unless you are not affiliated with a club, then an individual letter would be necessary. It was agreed, that answers to the questions should come from the organizations.

THF may use it’s website to address the concerns and questions.

The mailing address is:

The Henry Ford
Program Production
Registration Office
P.O. Box 1970
Dearborn, MI 48121

The email address is:

participantinfo@thehenryford.org

I hope this helps us, the shows and, THF.
MartyBufalini

Postby MartyBufalini » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:59 pm

Just curious, has your club or chapter written letters with group signatures? Has anyone sent an individual letter?

If so, is it something you'd care to share here?

I sure would like to know if my suggestion was taken to heart.

Thanks.
MartyBufalini

Postby MartyBufalini » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:44 pm

No one?

Do any members of HCCA go to either the Old Car Festival or the Motor Muster?

Is your chapter drafting a letter?
MartyBufalini

I suggest a Boycott

Postby Freighter Jim » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:38 am

Of interest:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/726163.html?1487248606

" A friend of mine who has been a participant at the OCF for many years met recently with John Neilson. Those following the changes announced for this year's OCF will recognize Mr. Neilson as the author of the letter announcing the changes at the OCF that was sent last month to past participants. 

By way of background, according to this website: 

http://www.motorcities.org/About+Us/John+Neilson-315.html 

"John is Vice President for Venues of Museums and Attractions at The Henry Ford in Dearborn. In his current role John is responsible for the leadership and coordination of a strategic direction for Henry Ford Museum, Greenfield Village, and the Ford Rouge Factory Tour, including the quality, improvement and delivery of guest experiences, staff excellence, alignment, and the financial performance of the venues." 

When my friend met with Mr. Neilson the objective was to both express my friend's concerns regarding the changes at the OCF and gain an understanding of the thought process that lead to the changes. Unfortunately, my friend did not leave the meeting feeling good about the direction that the OCF is headed. Rather my friend left the meeting with the following impressions and perceptions: 

(1) the OCF festival had considered rolling out the changes over a period time but decided to make them all at once; beyond that it was not clear how much thought had gone into the changes or their implementation, 

(2) the changes are driven by profit motives and the new look of the Henry Ford, 

(3) they do not want to be known as a car museum, 

(4) they are not particularly concerned as to whether the car shows continue as they are a hassle for them, they consume a lot of manpower, and they are not profitable from a financial perspective, 

(5) the OCF and MM get in the way of weddings and other activities at the Henry Ford that generate net profits, 

(6) when the $25 registration fee was implemented some time ago participation dropped off the first year and then came back stronger than ever; they believe that this pattern will repeat even with the implementation of the nonrefundable $50 per car application fee, 
(7) the $50 fee will weed out participants and make the show more manageable, and maybe increase the overall quality of the cars participating in the OCF, 

(8) they are interested in how to make the show relevant to the general public, especially the younger generation that is focused on electronics; it was not clear as to whether or not they have a plan as to how to accomplish that objective, 

(9) the OCF’s hope is that participants will act as docents and stay at their cars dressed in period clothing and explain their cars to the general public. 

Before closing I wish to be VERY CLEAR with respect to a few details: 

I was NOT present at the meeting, and while I believe the information set forth above to be truthful and accurate, it is heresay, and must be taken as such. 

From my perspective, the fact is things change with the passage of time....and the changes being implemented at the OCF are just another example of that fact. 

Based upon what I have learned from my friend regarding his meeting with Mr. Neilson regarding this matter, I suspect that notwithstanding the concerns being expressed by fellow car collectors and OCF enthusiasts, be it in letters, email messages, phone calls and / or meetings, this year's OCF will unfold in accordance with the new policies set forth in the letter Mr. Neilson sent out last month. 

Take all this for what it's worth. And if you are wondering why my friend did not post this message himself, although he is a Model T Ford enthusiast, he does not frequent this site. He is, however, aware that I am posting this information and reviewed it before I posted it. "

Jim
Freighter Jim

Postby jefffarmer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:09 am

Thanks for sharing these info. I was thinking how to go about my Model T.
jefffarmer

Return to Automotive Discussions