HCCA Library Access

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here

HCCA Library Access

Postby hddennis » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:20 am

Does this library exist anymore online? I'm near the end of a 3 year membership I purchased to be able to research antique cars online in period magazines. For several months I have been unable to access the site. I've been told the problem is being worked on for months now. My last email asking for updates has gone unanswered. Anyone know what is going on? I really miss this resource but am wondering if it is worth renewing if I can't get what I paid for.

Howard Dennis
hddennis

Re: HCCA Library Access

Postby hddennis » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:25 pm

Nobody knows anything about my question??????????
hddennis

Postby jimdix » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:52 pm

The Foundation site has had a couple glitches in the past year. My Firefox Browser wouldn't allow access because it thought the sight was not secure. Brad (?) fixed that after i complained. Then when you tried to search you got a message that said your subject was too broad and the search was taking too long, IMMEDIATELY. I emailed Brad and he said he was working on it. Now it's giving a fatal error message.
Probably, like you, I got a lot of enjoyment searching various subjects but we no longer are able to do that.
If you and I are the only ones using it, I guess it doesn't matter to the powers that be.
Anybody else care?
jimdix

Postby hddennis » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:39 pm

Thanks Jimdix, I can't believe with all the help and answers I was able to find on my own restorations and parts and accessory questions that we are the only people that care whether or not this valuable resource functions or not! Beginning to look like if it ain't a tri-five Chebby it don't matter anymore. SAD.

Howard Dennis
hddennis

Postby jeff deringer » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:53 pm

Quite the opposite, actually. If you had followed this forum at all before asking your question it should have become obvious that the people here are very slow to respond to these message boards. When they do, they possess a lot of knowledge about antique cars, the real kind. It's a shame really, and frustrating. But that's the way it is. It could be that it's an older crowd than the "Tri-five" people, and they are not as eager to get on the computer to communicate. Regardless, posting a question on here and expecting to get an answer in a day or two is destined to leave you disappointed. I'll bet there a dozen people that will read your message in the next few days that have knowledge on the subject but won't post a thing. Again, a shame.
jeff deringer

Postby hddennis » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:39 pm

Well thank you very much for spending your valuable time posting that Jeff. It did absolutely nothing for Jimdix or I but if it made you feel like you were contributing your 2 cents worth and it might be found humorous by others, well I hope you enjoyed it.

Howard Dennis
hddennis

Postby Plumbline » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:00 pm

I agree with Jeff. I come and look regularly, not daily. Yes, I was in the garage, a preferred place for me. Yes, I am committed to finding ways to make this forum more popular, and better utilized. If we can make a better product, people will come. Don
Plumbline

Postby jimdix » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:45 am

I don't check the forum daily. Usually I go to tour reports. This isn't Facebook, sometimes I go here to escape Facebook! This could contribute to problems not being fixed, nobody notices.
At the moment the search is nearly there, it does the search, but doesn't bring up the page. This is MY machine, running Windows 7, and Firefox, individual results may vary.
Confession, I Will likely try later today to see if I can bring up the page.
jimdix

Postby jeff deringer » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:27 am

Not to belabor the point, but I'm actually not a Facebook user. A rare breed! However, I do come to the HCCA website almost every day, managing to squeeze time in while running a large construction company. I love antique cars. I drive, work on, and restore them. I love seeing photos and narratives of tours and projects, and cars I haven't seen before. I'm 54, but have been touring for 48 years! My first tour was in my parents 1917 Velie, which I hope someday hope to locate and re-purchase (against my late parent's wishes!) I am also very aware of the HCF as my parents were financial supporters of it until they passed away, even then directing donations to the Foundation. In fact, they donated a 1914 Abbott Detroit Belle Isle Touring in the 90's. My mom was an Honorary Life Member. In my original post, I was actually trying to convey my disappointment in the fact that this site is not heavily used, and there is so much knowledge and information that our members possess that doesn't get passed on. It's a shame actually. That's all.
jeff deringer

Postby jimdix » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:20 am

Change, I wouldn't call it progress.
Now moves to login after search, still won't go to the page requested.
jim
jimdix

Postby bbsemail » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:34 am

The Library's Search Engine is back up and greatly improved!!!

I just finished rebuilding all the indexes (there are hundreds) and redesigned the search engine. The new search engine even provides an animation to let you know a search is in progress. Please give it a spin and let me know how it works for you:

https://www.hcfi.org/search.php

Today, I'm working on enhancements to Search to provide the searcher status if he chooses to refine his search after getting the search results.

All feedback / suggestions encouraged
bbsemail

Postby bbsemail » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:34 pm

Wednesday I released a new Browse the Library feature.
You can browse through preview images of any page of any publication and click the preview image to read the page. https://hcfi.org/read.php

How does it work for you?

Oh, and it's actually the HCFI Library not HCCA Library although they are closely aligned.
bbsemail

Return to Automotive Discussions