How Late Use of Chain Drive And Friction Drive Transmissions

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
Bharper

How Late Use of Chain Drive And Friction Drive Transmissions

Post by Bharper » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:29 am

Greetings Everyone,

I have two questions. I did look through all of my reference library and I did ask Mr. Google and found some information, but realized that I would be ahead asking the experts here.

The restriction is American cars only, nothing foreign and no trucks.

1) Which manufacturer was the last to use chain drive to the rear wheels and when was that?

2) Name the manufacturers who used a friction drive transmission and when was the last year and by whom?

These questions arose during several conversations I've enjoyed with other vintage car buddies regarding my 1914 Metz Model 22.

Perhaps these questions will provide an interruption to winter's dreaded Cabin Fever, one can only hope. Spring IS coming.

Thank you for your time,

Bill Harper
Keene, New Hampshire

Bharper

Re: How Late Use of Chain Drive And Friction Drive Transmiss

Post by Bharper » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:07 am

Well, shucks; over a month and no response. I guess that the topic is too obscure. Oh well. Carry on. Bill

jeff deringer

Post by jeff deringer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:25 am

There are most likely several people that know the answer but won't post it! Frustrating! However, CarterCar was a friction drive car. We actually had 3 of them at one time in our club. A 1907, and I think a 1912, and a 1915! My friend Frank owned the 07 and 15. The 07 is a good looking, good running car.

MochetVelo

Post by MochetVelo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:56 pm

According to Wikipedia: The last popular chain drive automobile was the Honda S600 of the 1960s.

Frazer Nash built a chain-driven transmission into the '30s.

In my opinion, Metz was the last car to use friction drive in the form of a spinning flat plate. I think that was about 1917. This drive system is still in use today (snowblowers, drilling rigs, etc.), but not in cars.

Phil

hanr

Post by hanr » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:16 pm

Like speed honda

royal1688 download