Northeast starter/generator overcharging

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
Brewster

Northeast starter/generator overcharging

Post by Brewster » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:42 am

Hi, I have a 1923 dodge 4cyl. with a Northeast starter generator model GA type 3804 A positive ground, 12 volt. I recently had it professionally rebuilt, but the voltage reads around 18 with engine slightly above idling. The ammeter is at zero at lowest idle but when I accelerate it reads off the dial at over +14 amps. And the headlights and dash lights get very bright. I had the rebuilt generator removed 4 different times, but still registering 18 volts with engine accelerated. The cutout is in the floor switch and I removed it thinking that it may be bad. I had a modern diode installed in the switch ,hooked up the generator and still showing high voltage when accelerating. The third brush was adjusted to its lowest point but the voltage only reduced by 1 to 1 1/2 volts. I have not been able to use the car for 1 1/2 years now and would appreciate any help or person that may be knowledgeable in Northeast stater generators of this vintage. Could the problem be in the cars wiring,diode cutout or? I double checked the wiring according to my 1923 dodge instruction book and it seemed correct. Someone told me it may be the way the cutout is hooked up. Is this true? The rebuilder says he correctly rebuilt the unit,but something is not right. Please help me get my Dodge on the road again! Thanks, Al