1907 IHC Engine?

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
gwartinger

1907 IHC Engine?

Post by gwartinger » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:25 pm

We are trying to Identify this engine.
Very similar to original publications yet larger.
14 horsepower? vs 12 Horsepower?
Any insight would be very appreciated.
1907 Hatfield Buggyabout.

Greg Wartinger
Attachments
20160312_120228.jpg
1907 IHC

gwartinger

Re: 1907 IHC Engine?

Post by gwartinger » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:03 pm

Test

wjguthrie

Post by wjguthrie » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:24 am

Pretty sure its not IHC. All IHC engines of 1907 were OHV with exposed rocker arms and push rods.
Please refrain from restoring the survivors

FullerMetz

Post by FullerMetz » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:28 pm

Is this in the 1906 Hatfield Buggyabout? Have you seen copies of any Hatfield sales literature? Should be available through the Horseless Carriage Foundation Inc for a small but worthwhile fee.

FullerMetz

Post by FullerMetz » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:38 pm

Google showed me pictures of what appears to be your Hatfield with that engine, so that answers that part.
Mr G also found some specs for Hatfield at the following link:

https://books.google.com/books?id=kdz7A ... ut&f=false

These showed three different models, two 12 hp, one 14 hp, all with different specifications. Bore of 4 inch, 4 1/8 inch, and 4 1/2 inch.

A couple other links showed poor quality views of Hatfield engines, but they all looked similar to yours.

Also, understand, that the automobile manufacturing in its infancy did not always follow what was planned. Whether we are discussing a major builder like Ford or Maxwell? Or a small builder like the Hatfield or a hundred others? Engines, axles, wheels, and even bodies were usually supplied from a foundry/builder, who was likely to make changes from one day to the next due to availability of materials, repairs /modifications to molds or patterns, or any of a hundred reasons. A car I used to have gave nice specifications in their literature. But the cars left the factory with at least five variations on the motors. There again, the bore and the stroke changed several times. But the literature never changed. This was especially true with small struggling companies that sometimes accepted a slightly different engine simply because their supplier had a few left over intended for another customer, and would sell them for a few dollars less.
I don't know who built the engines for Hatfield. It could have been any of a couple dozen companies that made engines for automobiles. A little research could probably find out. Reeves I believe built the air-cooled engines for the Sears car. There were at least four major variations, and several minor changes, made in less than five years of production.

gwartinger

Post by gwartinger » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:45 am

Thanks everyone.
I agree and believe this to be the 14 horse variety.
There are some major differences between this engine and the original.
It appears to be the same manufacture however.
Thanks for the insight about IHC, I was making some assumptions from the letter's.
The society has the letter's between Hatfield and his wife archived in the HC Library.
He mentions going to Chicago to meet with the engine supplier.
Anyway I'm searching for the correct carburetor.
I'll put on a Schebler unless anyone has some other suggestions.
( it had a OE-1 Stromberg on it when we found it )
Thanks again,
Greg