FRONT AXLE

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
VCA11

FRONT AXLE

Post by VCA11 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:10 am

The front axle is cast essentially square in shape except for the ends. There were two springs on each side. Any ideas for identifying this vehicle would be appreciated. I also put an earlier posting of the steering box which is still displayed on this forum.
Attachments
IMG_4570.JPG
Front Axle

FullerMetz

Re: FRONT AXLE

Post by FullerMetz » Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:25 am

That was a common type of axle and spring used on high wheel type cars (autobuggies, gasoline carriages, etc) from about 1903 through 1911. I can tell you that it is likely NOT for a Sears or IHC. The Sears uses the square axle turned on edge (one of the few that did that), while the IHC had a drop or off-set on the ends for the spindles (yours are centered). The ends for the later IHC auto-wagons are also much heavier. I am not so sure about 1907/'09 models. That leaves about fifty other manufacturers to consider. Whether the ends were centered or offset, is one of the main things to look at. But remember, a given marque may have made different models with variations in the axles.
Holsman, and Firestone Columbus look like possibilities for the axle and spring, but not exact maybe? Also they were usually tiller steered, and the steering column would not be from one of them.
If the column and axle were from the same car? That could help identify it. High wheelers were about half and half tiller or steering wheel. A few, like Schacht, made them both ways.
There were a few standard wheel type cars that used square axles also. But I don't think there were a lot of them. Offhand, I can't think of one. Most early "regular" cars, used tube axles. As the first decade of that century moved forward, more and more automobile manufacturers switched to forged steel axles. The square steel axles were really a carryover from the horse and wagon days. Small carriages often had steel clad wooden axles, but those weren't strong enough for the weight and vibration of a gasoline motor. So the carriage industry, moving into the automobile age, stepped up to a heavier wagon type steel axle.
I hope these parts find their way to a good early car project. They may not be worth a lot of money, but they are valuable to the restoration of someone's incomplete early car project. And that is what the hobby (passion) is all about, preservation and restoration of pieces of history.