Starting 1911 Buick 33

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
Robert Bente

Starting 1911 Buick 33

Post by Robert Bente » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:51 pm

I’m trying to fire up a 1911 Buick in line 4. Plugs are at . .025, carb is rebuilt, twice. I need some advice on what I’m missing? Is there someone that can help me? Gas,fuel, and spark are there.
r/s Bob

oldcarfudd

Re: Starting 1911 Buick 33

Post by oldcarfudd » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:24 am

I assume you have reasonably equal compression on all cylinders, and that the ignition is correctly timed to fire at or after TDC on the cylinder with compression. It’s easy to have the timing 180 degrees off. If you’ve checked these things, read on.

I have a 1912 Model 35, basically the same small engine as yours. It has a Schebler carburetor with an auxiliary air valve. It usually starts on the first or second pull, but once in a while it gets flooded. When that happens, I have two choices:

1. Crank until I turn purple, to no avail; it ain’t gonna start.

2. Hold the auxiliary air valve open, with my pinkie finger (awkward, while I crank with the other hand) or with a bungee cord hooked to something at the other end. Open the throttle all the way and crank. After a half-dozen or fewer pulls, it will start, race briefly, and die. I remove the bungee cord, set the throttle to fast idle, and crank. Two pulls and I’m in business.

I have learned to choose Option 2. And I keep a bungee cord in my tool box.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

jeff deringer

Post by jeff deringer » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:02 pm

oldcarfudd wrote:I assume you have reasonably equal compression on all cylinders, and that the ignition is correctly timed to fire at or after TDC on the cylinder with compression. It’s easy to have the timing 180 degrees off. If you’ve checked these things, read on.

I have a 1912 Model 35, basically the same small engine as yours. It has a Schebler carburetor with an auxiliary air valve. It usually starts on the first or second pull, but once in a while it gets flooded. When that happens, I have two choices:

1. Crank until I turn purple, to no avail; it ain’t gonna start.

2. Hold the auxiliary air valve open, with my pinkie finger (awkward, while I crank with the other hand) or with a bungee cord hooked to something at the other end. Open the throttle all the way and crank. After a half-dozen or fewer pulls, it will start, race briefly, and die. I remove the bungee cord, set the throttle to fast idle, and crank. Two pulls and I’m in business.

I have learned to choose Option 2. And I keep a bungee cord in my tool box.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder
Gil, is that a Model R Schebler?

Thank you,

Jeff Deringer

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:00 am

Jeff, I blush to confess I don't remember which model Schebler my car has. It was on the car when I got it. Here's a picture of it. The auxiliary air valve is the leftmost part of the picture, facing forward in the car. To hold it open, you have to reach underneath and push up.
IMG_2718.JPG

jeff deringer

Post by jeff deringer » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:39 am

Thanks! That's different than the "R", but same principal exactly. I hated the one on my 15 Overland, but it was the only carb I could get to fit it due to the close proximity to the steering box. The interesting thing about those Schebler's is that they are pretty much omni-directional. I have since made an offset manifold to adapt what I consider a better carburetor. Glad you figured out how to make yours work.

wjguthrie

Post by wjguthrie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:47 pm

Have you tried priming by putting a 1/2 tea spoon of gas in each cylinder ? I usually flood the Schebler and prime the cylinders on my IHC before starting. See if you can get it to pop of fire a few times.
Please refrain from restoring the survivors

oakland12

Post by oakland12 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:45 pm

I run the same Schebler Model L as Gil uses on my 12 Oakland. For the last 35 years It's been a great carb. Cold or hot it's never given any trouble starting. I did get it rebuilt before I put it on. As I remember getting it set the first time was tricky. I haven't had to play with it since for over 25000 miles of touring. Dykes encyclopedia might be of some help for your Model R carb.
Ken

jeff deringer

Post by jeff deringer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:04 pm

Thank you, Ken.