An apology and thoughts

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
Robert Bente

An apology and thoughts

Post by Robert Bente » Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:25 pm

Gentleman and Women, I apologize for my rant on a previous post, 1911 Buick model 33.
I see from my veiwpoint that early, “brass” car interest is declining, maybe has been for 30 years?
My main source for information is the MTFCA site. That’s Model T.
I rarely look at this site as a source for help on projects that I’m working on.
Should I just cave in to the Camero/ Corvette group and get the black boots and vest?
I’ve since rescued a 1908 Buick from a local forest fire, it’s running and beautiful.
I’m 60 years old, and last year I’ve taught 17 people how to drive an early model T.
I’m trying hard to pass the passion on, but it’s hard when people with the same interest will not even do the same.

Any thoughts are advice?
r/s Robert Bente

jeff deringer

Re: An apology and thoughts

Post by jeff deringer » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:38 am

Well, looking back at the 3 posts I see about your '11 Buick there were quick responses to all of them actually, including some pretty detailed stuff on your first one regarding trouble starting the car. But moving forward, It's a fact that interest in brass cars is declining. Sad, but true. It's also a fact that there are many, many more Model T enthusiasts than other brass era cars, and the T forum has a much, much wider base than the HCCA site, so it should be no surprise that there are more opinions there.

Back to one of your original questions regarding the carburetor. You say you have a type of Zenith carb. A picture is worth 1000 words, so posting that would help, but most Zenith's I've dealt with work pretty good. Many people like the Carter BB-1, you would need a small one for your car, there are several different sizes. I've always had great luck with a Tilotson on my 1914 Overland. Hope that helps.

https://www.hcca.org/BOARDS/viewtopic.p ... 6d68b6640c

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1080&sid=e5d6a38daa ... 007ed8c54e

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1126&sid=6778de7fa6 ... ac984a4ea8

babychadwick

Post by babychadwick » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:49 am

As somebody in the younger crowd (30's with a Son) There is an interest in the brass cars, in fact considerable interest. Problems are, and you can see this as well with modern old cars the availability of parts. And you can see why the T is still going, you can "fix" an early T with parts that are over a decade older than the car and those parts are easy to come by. Just think of how many "old" cars are on the road with totally substituted drivelines. There just aren't enough people out there that know how to fabricate for a reasonable amount. The other problem is the actual driving which is getting worse every year as manufactures are doing their best to allow people to drive that should not be behind the wheel. Then of course there is the problem of trying to drive with other cars on the road.

keqwow

Post by keqwow » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:05 am

There is just not a lot of online activity with the brass cars that are not Ford T’s. And I generally think forums are becoming less visited as people generally prefer the Facebook groups. That being said, the forums are a better place to have a discussion about a specific topic as posts get lost on Facebook.
As for declining interest...I think a big factor in that regard is the expense. $15-30k will get you a brass Ford Model T. Anything else in brass these days will cost $30k+. Even a ‘common’ brass Model T will cost as much as a reliable new car. It’s tough to justify the expensive ‘toy’ when you’ve got kids to raise and bills to pay. Personally I’d be okay with a downturn in interest and price. I might finally be able to buy my first brass era car.