car identification Stoddard Dayton?

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
horse and buggy

car identification Stoddard Dayton?

Post by horse and buggy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:30 pm

Would anyone be able to identify the car in this photo? It was probably taken sometime in the decade after the turn of the century. I think this car may be a Stoddard Dayton but not sure. Could it be a Speedwell?
A bit of history on the photo:
Was taken in front of the house of William Wallace Paul who was the proprietor of the general store in the village of Lone Pine, Pa. (10 miles south of Washington Pa) The people are all family members of Mr. Paul which include his mother, his wife, his 3 daughters, 2 grandchildren and 2 sons in-law.
The car belonged to W.W. Paul's son-in-law Frank Curry. Mr. Curry worked in the office of one of the mills in Donora Pa. and this was probably a summer Sunday visit to his mother and father in law.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated? Is it difficult to find period photo's of a Stoddard Daytron?

Thanks
Attachments
scan0002.jpg

jeff deringer

Re: car identification Stoddard Dayton?

Post by jeff deringer » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:48 am

Very cool! I believe it is a Stoddard Dayton, it could be a 1911 like the one my parents friends the LeFebre's of Lewiston, Idaho found, restored, and toured. That was a great car.
https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/25219/lot/287/

horse and buggy

Post by horse and buggy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:10 pm

Thanks Jeff,

I had never heard of a Stoddard Dayton until I started researching this photo. It sure would be fun to own one of these! I love the sound these early auto's make as the zip down the road.

Scott

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:54 pm

Stoddard-Daytons were fine cars in their day. Once in a while, one becomes available. They're not cheap. If you go to the classified section of this website and scroll WAY down in the cars for sale section, you'll see one for sale. I know nothing about this particular one.

jeff deringer

Post by jeff deringer » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:28 pm

Gene had a neat trick he'd do with that car. It had a big engine, and only crank start. I'm not sure how he did it (I was a dumb kid, now I'm just dumb) but after it was shut off, he was able to get it to start by flipping on the coil switch, and BAM! It would kick over and start without cranking it! Must have been able to get gas in the cylinder and had a good spark. Fun deal.