how do you paint a radiator

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
dave62

how do you paint a radiator

Post by dave62 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:11 pm

I am restoring a 1904 Northern. I had a new radiator built and can't figure out the best way to get at the inside fins. There are 4 rows of tube across and 3 rows top to bottom. I sprayed it and the inside fins didn't get painted.
Help! :?:

oldbrass

Post by oldbrass » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:37 pm

Dave,

I'm not an expert, but I've heard that it is important not to get too thick a paint layer on the radiator core and the paint should be flat black. This allows the best heat transfer. Your question is about successfully spraying the paint onto the interior brass or copper surfaces. With age the metal will darken and will not be noticably brighter than the painted part. If you had it bright dipped (which leaves a bright yellow or red surface) this will take quite a long time and is a good reason not to use bright dip. I suspect that in 1904 they didn't paint the radiator core and it tarnished to an efficient brown color within a month or two.
Robb Stewart

model16buick

radiator paint

Post by model16buick » Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:34 am

Hi- also, there is a special "radiator" paint that is used, normal paint will block heat transfer and cause heating problems. I have not bought any in years, but it used to be available; I remember it was thinned with gasolene, so it may not be environmentally friendly now! best dc
Hi, David Coco here in Winchester Va. Avid collector of cars and memorabilia, particularly Pierce Arrow memorabilia. Happy motoring!

MochetVelo

Radiator Paint

Post by MochetVelo » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:43 pm

Just a note: Eastwood Co. sells a spray-can radiator paint. See their web site.

Phil Jamison
PA