SERIAL/VIN NUMBER ?

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
rpbgifts

SERIAL/VIN NUMBER ?

Post by rpbgifts » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:33 pm

I need some help locating the serial number on my 1920 Model T coupe. The motor has been replaced with a 1923 motor and the serial number on that motor is correct but I need to find the number for the body to match up with the title.

Thanks,

Rich

Tmodelman

Title numbering

Post by Tmodelman » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:38 pm

Rich

The bodies to most later T's had no number markings, the Ford company relied on the motor number for the identification. That motor number is what DVM uses for the "VIN"

Seems your title for your T doesn't match the motor in your T. Probably was changed and the replacement motor wasn't re-stamped with the original title matching motor number. If your title number ranges from 3,659,971 - 4,698,415, then that is a 1920 calendar year motor number sequence, anb your T had its motor changed out at some time, lots of T's have had motors replaced.

One way you can correct the title is apply to the FL DMV for a 'changed motor/number' form, and have your title re-issued with the actual motor number so your new title will be right for your T.
FL local DVM offices may not know about this, but you can check it out and get the form over the internet from MyFL.com

Dan in FL

rpbgifts

Post by rpbgifts » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:52 am

Hi Dan, the title I have is from Indiana and it's the original from 1920. I purchased the car here in florida and received the original title ( unsigned ) and a bill of sale. The title has serial number 3925316 and the engine has 7957913. The person I bought it from had purchased it for parts and dosen't know too much about the history of the car. I know the person I bought it from and he would refund my money if I had any problems. I guess I should start at the DMV.

Thanks,

Rich

Bharper

SERIAL/VIN NUMBER

Post by Bharper » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:27 pm

Rich,
My 1924 T coupe has a body (VIN) number embossed on the right floorboard riser. You might have a number elsewhere. Some, but not all, bodies had a body number applied by the body manufacturer. Ford paid little or no attention to it and relied only on the engine number as the number of the car.
Your state DMV may have a "Verification of VIN" form that may help you in titleing/registering your car. We do here in New Hampshire. We also don't need a title for a vehicle older than 30 years.
(maybe with a set of number punches in hand you could look for the title's VIN number somewhere inside the body....... :roll: )
Good Luck and keep us posted.
Bill