Any Recommendations For Carburetor Restorer?

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
MochetVelo

Any Recommendations For Carburetor Restorer?

Post by MochetVelo » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:44 pm

Could anyone suggest a carburetor repair shop that can restore a French Zenith carb from 1921 (it's an 18MH from a Peugeot Type 161 Quadrilette)? I've tried a number of shops, but get turned down. With all those odd carbs out there, there must be someone who will tackle something a bit different.

Thanks,

Philip
PA

MochetVelo

Zenith Carb Rebuild

Post by MochetVelo » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:48 pm

re: Zenith Carburetor from 1921 Peugeot Quadrilette

I started work on the Zenith 18MH (c1921) carburetor today, having found no one who would touch it. I even wrote to a French carb restorer who asked for pictures, but then never responded. Anyway, this carb seems almost exactly like the Zeniths from the HCCA "Brass" Era. First, I found the butterfly valve shaft was broken, but we couldn't see how they fit in inside the small air passage. My mechanic friend discovered that the venturi passage (right side in photo) could be removed to get at the butterfly. After much tapping, my friend and I devised a bolt/nut puller which did the job. We only then discovered the set screw that held in the venturi! There are so many screws in this thing, that we never noticed it. I also found a fuel filter screen hidden under fuel intake (top left of photo). This was completely clogged with debris. Next, I will try to remove the butterfly valve and repair it.

Phil