Restoration advice.

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
Hudsonsplahser

Restoration advice.

Post by Hudsonsplahser » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:46 pm

I'm restoring a 17 Hudson, and have seen pictures of the grease fittings both plated in nickle and some painted. Any one know what is correct? Any info much appreciated. Thanks.
Gene.

15sd

Post by 15sd » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:46 pm

Don't know if this will help but on my 15 Studebaker only the visible ones were plated ... the front and rear spring shackle fittings are nickel and the exact same ones at the other end of the springs (not visible) were just painted steel.

Hudsonsplahser

Post by Hudsonsplahser » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:11 pm

15sd wrote:Don't know if this will help but on my 15 Studebaker only the visible ones were plated ... the front and rear spring shackle fittings are nickel and the exact same ones at the other end of the springs (not visible) were just painted steel.

Has you car been restored, or is it still original? Thanks for you input.

wacohen

Hudson grease cups

Post by wacohen » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:34 am

Hudson used a fairly complex (10 pieces each) grease cup in the teens. It has a cylindrical barrel with a hex just above the taper to the 1/8 NPT threads. There is a knurled cap which turns with the "T" handle via a square hole. Turning the handle causes an internal piston to move up or down on the square shaft via threads internal to the barrel. These were made by Bowen and Hudson used both the 00 and the 000 sizes. They nickle-plated the ones that showed (spring shackles, steering linkage, etc.).
Bill

Hudsonsplahser

Post by Hudsonsplahser » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:28 pm

Thanks Bill, I appreciate the info.
Gene.