1903 Rambler Model E Colours

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
jcuffe6240

1903 Rambler Model E Colours

Post by jcuffe6240 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:17 pm

The Reynolds-Alberta Museum has started to do some conservation treatments to our 1903 Rambler Model E and were wondering what the appropriate colours are for that year and model. All our research suggest "automobile red" with black pinstripping. However, in removing the newer yellow paint, we are finding the red, black and also some blue. The blue is around the firewall and wooden spokes. Does anyone know if this might be original?

Any information would be appreciated.

oldcarfudd

Re: 1903 Rambler Model E Colours

Post by oldcarfudd » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:16 am

There aren't a lot of early Ramblers. The HCCA roster shows 8 1903 model Es. Their owners might have researched the colors. If you don't have access to the roster, PM me and I'll send you who they are. Otherwise, I can only suggest the Horseless Carriage Foundation library and the AACA library, which might have catalogs they can copy for you. No one is likely to have a modern paint code equivalent, so unless your paint spot was very well protected from the elements for 110 years, it's not likely still to be the same color. The best you're likely to find is that blue was an offered color - and you get to pick a blue you like and say: "That's it!"

jcuffe6240

Post by jcuffe6240 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:07 am

Thanks oldcarfudd. I would be most appreciated to get a list of the eight Ramblers. Ou Rambler seems to be quite the enigma as we have been oncovering more and more colours, including red, black, blue, green, grey and the yellow top coat. The history on it was that it was once part of the Pollard collection and I am sure it was repainted at some point during its time with his collection.

We do have a copy of the original sales literature that describe all 1903 Ramblers as being painted "automobile" red with black pin striping. Perhaps some of the others have cover across similar issues when they were restoring their examples.

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:03 pm

I can't count! There are only 5 Model Es listed. I sent the list of owners to the museum at its e-mail address, rather than publishing the list here for all to see and phish from. Hope it's useful!

jcuffe6240

Post by jcuffe6240 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:05 am

Here are some pictures of the Rambler after being stripped of the yellow paint.