Clueless Department - Automotive Division

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
oldcarfudd

Clueless Department - Automotive Division

Post by oldcarfudd » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:18 pm

On Tuesday of the Brass in Berks County tour, we visited a Montessori school, where a number of us gave rides to excited kids. On one ride, I had space in the front seat, and a cute young mother asked if she could come. Silly question – of course she could come!

We pulled out of the driveway into the road, and I double-crunched the ’12 Buick into second gear. The mother looked stunned and exclaimed: “Oh! It’s a STICK!”

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

SSsssteamer

Re: Clueless Department - Automotive Division

Post by SSsssteamer » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:44 am

The young mother must have been a Stanley steam car passenger before. All of our Stanley steamers are automatics. No clutch, no shifting; except if you want to go into reverse, then you push the reverse pedal to the floor and hold it there while traveling in reverse. If fact Stanleys don't even have a transmission because their engine is geared directly into the rear axle's crown gear. :)
Attachments
'14 at Stanley Hotel.jpg
'14 at Stanley Hotel.jpg (114.59 KiB) Viewed 3585 times
1909 Stanley R, 1911 Stanley 85, 1914 Stanley 606, 1916 Stanley 826 Mt Wagon, 1922 Stanley 735B

oldcarfudd

Re: Clueless Department - Automotive Division

Post by oldcarfudd » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:11 am

You might be right, Pat! We had a steam car giving rides. I'm trying to get a picture posted.

One of these days I might even get my own Stanley back on the road.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder