Finding information on George Kipp

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
bk2721

Finding information on George Kipp

Post by bk2721 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:00 pm

I have a 1908 EMF roadster and I am trying to find information on its early owners.
I was doing some research on EMF's at the AACA library a few weeks ago and came across a picture of a George Kipp sitting in what is now my car. The picture was in the Nov - Dec 1960 edition of the Horseless Carriage Gazette on page 18 and it lists Mr Kipp as the Tour Chairman for the Glidden Tour that year at Lake Placid in the Adirondack Mountains in New York State. Mr Kipp looks a bit elderly in the picture so I'm guessing he is no longer with us.

I'm wondering if anyone knew George and his ownership of this car. So far none of the later owners know or knew of this gentleman. Learning the period of time he owned my car would help me piece together this puzzle.

Thanks, Bradley Kline

oldcarfudd

Re: Finding information on George Kipp

Post by oldcarfudd » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:19 pm

Some long shot possibilities:

Kipp is not a common name. There is a Kipp in NY state in the current HCCA roster. If you call, you might find he's a grandson or a great-nephew or something, and has some information.

Glidden Tours are a Big Deal. There's probably a roster of participants in the AACA library or the Horseless Carriage Foundation library. You could see if any of those people have names that match, or are similar to, names in the current HCCA roster. Then make some phone calls.

Try to find George Kipp's obituary. It will list next of kin. Google those people.

You've got a 53-year-old lead, but there's probably a tentacle you can follow. Good luck in your hunt!

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder, Morristown, NJ