METZ Drive Plate question

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
Jerry Alexander

METZ Drive Plate question

Post by Jerry Alexander » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:04 am

I own a 1915 METZ Model 22 which is a friction drive vehicle. I have reversed the drive plate to improve the dependability of being able to climb grades. The original side has been worn smooth over time. The 2nd side is somewhat better in that about 2/3's of the plate have some grooves in it. I am wondering/asking if anyone else owning a METZ or other friction drive vehicle has ran into problems in getting enough traction between the drive plate and the friction wheel? If so what was your remedy to fixing the problem? I have switched sides. I have adjusted the distance between the two wheels and still have the same problem. I have taken the drive plate to a local vendor to see if they could cut grooves in to the plate but they would not attempt it because they were concerned they would accidentally destroy the plate. They could not identify the alloy the plate was made of. It was much harder than aluminum. I failed to inquiry if they could reproduce the plate using the hardest aluminum available. I am completely open to suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your help in this matter.

SSsssteamer

Re: METZ Drive Plate question

Post by SSsssteamer » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:51 am

I believe I can be of assistance for Mr. Alexanders 15 Metz problem. it is as follows.

Putting grooves in the driven wheel will not solve the problem. in fact one of the secrets is to keep the drive wheel clean I carry a spray bottle of 409 spray the wheel when you stop during the touring day takes 5 minutes. that will help solve the problem. the real issue is the kind of material bolted to the drive wheel.
The proper material to use is as original Friction paper that is available from Paper pulleys Columbia, Tennessee phone 931-388-9099.install that a hack saw blade clearance between the driven and the driver. properly done it will pull all hills providing there is enough hp.
hope this helps.

Frank Hurley
cartercar@comcast.net (one o0f the best friction drive vehicles ever made)CARTERCAR
1909 Stanley R, 1911 Stanley 85, 1914 Stanley 606, 1916 Stanley 826 Mt Wagon, 1922 Stanley 735B

Jerry Alexander

Post by Jerry Alexander » Thu May 01, 2014 3:38 am

I thank you for your advice. I have had the drive wheel redone last year when I took the drive wheel to the Paper Pulley Company. Quite an interesting place, BTW. I will purchase a bottle of 409 and spray the metal plate, as per your advice. I will also check to see if the clearance between the two wheels is a hack saw blade wide. That is the first time I have had that specific advice! :) I will let you know my findings after I do this and test her out. The problem I wrote about is the only thing that has caused me any problems with this vehicle. I really have been looking forward to taking her out and enjoying the country side, hills and all. Again, a BIG THANK YOU!

Jerry

SSsssteamer

Post by SSsssteamer » Fri May 02, 2014 4:50 pm

Jerry,

Just to clarify. The distance between the two wheels is the thickness of the hack saw blade . About 1/32 nd (just see daylight through at the contact point)
you are going to love it. Enjoy. :) It is a wonderful car.

Frank Hurley
1909 Stanley R, 1911 Stanley 85, 1914 Stanley 606, 1916 Stanley 826 Mt Wagon, 1922 Stanley 735B

Jerry Alexander

Post by Jerry Alexander » Fri May 09, 2014 4:00 am

I followed the suggestions about cleaning the plate and adjusting the distance between the plate and wheel. I now have a car that will climb grades! I have yet to test it out on steeper slopes but will soon. I have a lot of confidence she will answer the bell. I most sincerely thank you for helping me out with this problem. I have wrestled with it for over 2 years with no real success. The distance between the two surfaces was the problem. I do enjoy this car even more now. Again THANK YOU!!! :)

Jerry