E Brakes - 1915 Metz Model 22

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
Jerry Alexander

E Brakes - 1915 Metz Model 22

Post by Jerry Alexander » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:05 am

Has anyone had experience in 'freeing' the emergency brakes on this type of car? The ones on our car are frozen/rusted in place. I am presuming the cure is to remove the wheel to get access to the brakes. Then what? Is there a magic solution to soak them in to free up the movements? Are there replacement parts in case the brakes are beyond repair? Right now the only brakes I have functional is the band on the axle.

BTW, I had this car out on July 17th to help a person celebrate his 99th birthday. Both he and this car are 99 thus his bond with it. If I can ever figure out how to attach a picture or more I will share with you. The local news media, print and TV, covered this story. So now a lot of people in this part of the country, western Illinois, know there is such a vehicle as a Metz! I now have to remove the radiator for a 3rd time to get new leaks fixed before I take her to an "Old Threshermen's Reunion" in early August.

Thank you in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Jerry

Jerry Alexander

Re: E Brakes - 1915 Metz Model 22

Post by Jerry Alexander » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:00 am

I was told yesterday that when i get the brakes removed I should soak them in a mixture of 590/50 acetone and automatic transmission oil. Apparently that mixture will help free up any corrosion. Later this Fall I will try it to see if it releases the brakes. Just thought I'd share this tid-bit with you. Has anyone else tried this?

MochetVelo

Post by MochetVelo » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:40 am

A lot of guys swear by the ATF/acetone 50/50 combo, Jerry. I like the spray-can penetrants for convenience. Check out the "Stuck Parts: How To Loosen Them" on our HCCA Boards:

http://boards.hcca.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=692

Phil

Jerry Alexander

Post by Jerry Alexander » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:54 pm

Thanks, Phil. I will try to find some of that stuff around here. I have Liquid Wrench and WD-40 but neither of those worked on this particular project.

Jewarjone

Post by Jewarjone » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:37 am

I have used an acetylene torch with a large tip to warm up the the outer drum (just heat it slightly...and evenly, a butane torch will work)which causes it to expand faster than the band inside. If you use too much heat or heat on area to hot you can warp the drum so stay down way below getting red ! HAVE A CHARGED FIRE EXTINQUISHER AT HAND AND DO THIS IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA because you might get some smoking grease the fumes of which can ignite from your torch if you are not careful. If the axle is tapered, heat will also work to expand the outer portion of the hub away from the axle. It is best to put a puller on first and have it tightened so the hub will pop off when it is free enough to do so. You can use a block of wood and hammer to pound ( not hard) on the perimeter of the heated part to help the parts disengage. Good Luck and take your time warming things up so the heated part is as evenly heated around its perimeter as possible.

Jerry Alexander

Post by Jerry Alexander » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:27 pm

Thank you

nctu127

Post by nctu127 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:26 am

Thank you , Phil. :wink:

gclub