1912 Oakland transmission problem

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
oakland12

1912 Oakland transmission problem

Post by oakland12 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:29 pm

I've had a lot of great service out of my Oakland 40 over the last 28 years but recently It's developed an unusual problem with the transmission. It shifts easily into gear however it doesn't want to come out of first when I'm shifting up to second. Second and third shift fine and I can shift down easily in all gears. The cone clutch is fully releasing and doesn't appear to be hanging up. It feels like first gear remains loaded even when the clutch is released. If I shift at very low RPM it shifts ok. If I wind it up like usual though it doesn't want to release. I'm wondering if maybe there's a bushing or bearing that is failing and changing the angle of the gear engagement. This might?? want to keep the gear engaged.
Any thoughts on this before I pull the tranny?
Thanks
Ken

JV Puleo

Re: 1912 Oakland transmission problem

Post by JV Puleo » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:41 am

I would think (or guess) exactly the same thing. In any case, the problem is almost certainly in the transmission so I see little way to avoid taking it out and dismantling it. 102 years is a long time, its pretty certain something is well worn.

oakland12

Re: 1912 Oakland transmission problem

Post by oakland12 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:56 pm

Yes I agree. It's time to do the transmission. I did have it apart in the early 80's. Can't remember now what I did to it then! This will be a winter project. Have to use the back up car for the Skagit Tour in September, my 11 T :D
Ken