Greasing an early universal joint

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
oakland12

Greasing an early universal joint

Post by oakland12 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:04 pm

I've had the clutch out and redone for my 12 Oakland 40. While I have easy access to the universal joint I want to grease it. There are no grease fittings on it so I'm wondering what they did back in the day?
Ken
P1030946 (Large).JPG
P1030953 (Large).JPG

MochetVelo

Re: Greasing an early universal joint

Post by MochetVelo » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:43 pm

I'd assume they just packed it with grease when it was apart. Does it have seals of some kind to keep the grease in place? Could you add a grease cup? I have one on my model T U-joint that has a zerk fitting inside for convenience. A small zerk fitting alone would be pretty unobtrusive.

Phil

oakland12

Post by oakland12 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:20 am

No seals at all. I could take it apart and grease it. It's got about .010 clearance so it's difficult to pack it when it's together. Won't have much grease left when it's reassembled. I wonder if it might have been oiled when new. I can't see anyone removing the u joint very often to service it. Maybe it didn't wear much because of the lower speeds.
Thanks for your input
Ken

JV Puleo

Post by JV Puleo » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:20 pm

I suspect it would have been lubricated much the same was a driving chain was. They would heat a pan of lubricant ... (at the time it might have been a lard & tallow mixture but I'd guess that modern grease would also work). When the lubricant was watery, submerge the part, let it sit, then remove it and let it cool. The heating should be done in a double boiler... container of grease in a pan full of boiling water. It probably had a leather boot laced over it.

oakland12

Post by oakland12 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:36 am

"I suspect it would have been lubricated much the same was a driving chain was. They would heat a pan of lubricant ... (at the time it might have been a lard & tallow mixture but I'd guess that modern grease would also work). When the lubricant was watery, submerge the part, let it sit, then remove it and let it cool. The heating should be done in a double boiler... container of grease in a pan full of boiling water. It probably had a leather boot laced over it."

This makes a lot of sense to me. I think that would work. My u-joint has a tin cover around it to keep the grease from flying everywhere, instead of a leather boot.
Thanks for your help
Ken