1954 Anglo-American Tour Film

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
MochetVelo

1954 Anglo-American Tour Film

Post by MochetVelo » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:28 pm

Here is a Pathe newsreel of the 1954 "Anglo-American Vintage Car Rally". It's interesting how much attention these cars drew, especially since the earliest models were only about 45 years old. I guess vintage car tours were less common then.

https://youtu.be/S_fz3f3Z4GY

(Thanks to "The Old Motor").

Phil

alsfarms

Re: 1954 Anglo-American Tour Film

Post by alsfarms » Fri May 08, 2015 10:54 pm

Does anyone know the names of any of the tourists? How about history of any of the cars? That was a nice glimpse into our early antique auto tours. It was interesting that they would line up the Stutz and Mercer in the back of the pack for the race event. I would like to see more of this type production either here. Thanks for posting!
Alan

Tall

Post by Tall » Sat May 09, 2015 5:46 pm

Henry Austin Clark was one of the foremost automotive historians of all time, and he owned hundreds of brass era cars in his lifetime. He is shown driving one of his favorite cars, a 1916 Pierce Arrow.

More about "Austie" - https://youtu.be/fo6jh1T6nBo

alsfarms wrote:Does anyone know the names of any of the tourists? How about history of any of the cars? That was a nice glimpse into our early antique auto tours. It was interesting that they would line up the Stutz and Mercer in the back of the pack for the race event. I would like to see more of this type production either here. Thanks for posting!
Alan
Do you want a real tomahawk or a rubber tomahawk?

MochetVelo

Post by MochetVelo » Sat May 09, 2015 8:28 pm

I read another interesting fact about this tour: The Ford Model K had a ring and pinion failure in the differential, and British Ford machined a new set overnight so the the car could continue.

Phil

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sat May 09, 2015 9:16 pm

That is a nice bit about Austin Clark and his museum. The last clip is a bit sad however! The same thing about Harrahs in Reno. The video clip about driving down main street in San Francisco, before the fire, told a big story about a time we were not around to recall! I was reading in one of our local paper archives about an early 1900's stage line that ran across the county here. One of the cars that was used the most was a 1908 Thomas and right here is rural Utah. Who would believe it now? I have seen an early video from the early 50's showing a get together of Studebakers. Yup....those were the days.
Al