Rod bearing shell Question

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
alsfarms

Rod bearing shell Question

Post by alsfarms » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:42 pm

I am starting on a bottom end rod bearing job on a "T" head design engine. This engine has the babbit applied to a bearing shell which is then fixed to the actual rod. I need to replace at lease two of the shells and I want to make sure that as I machine the new shells I use the best material. It is my surmise that the shells should be machined out of red brass (Bronze) and not the softer and more fragile yellow brass. I also assume that red brass will allow for the babbit to adhere nicely. Does anyone here have experience with the rebuild/repair that I am speaking about? Please add you thoughts.
Al

1cylnut

Re: Rod bearing shell Question

Post by 1cylnut » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:36 pm

I have made babbited shells for a couple of engines with good result. I used bearing bronze for the shells because it is readily available in heavy wall tubes and short lengths from McMaster Carr. That said I am sure that regular yellow brass would work just as well. There is very little stress on a such a shell. I recommend you make the babbit somewhat thinner than what the original likely was. I like about 1/16 thick babbit after it is bored to fit.
Bill Ottemann