High tension magneto for 1910 Buick Model F

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
jgoedeken

High tension magneto for 1910 Buick Model F

Post by jgoedeken » Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:57 am

I need some advise in betting a magneto to function correctly in by Model F. I purchased this car 2 years ago and am now checking it out to get it running. I looks to be in great shape and a low mileage car. Restored in the '70's and used as a parade and short tour car. Ran well up to about 5 years ago. Stopped using car due to age of owner. The car was fitted with a high tension Remy E4A magneto. It runs via gear off the cam shaft. The impulse coupler has been removed. The previous owner said the system worked well and the car was a very easy starter. I have not tried to start the car yet. This is a very common magneto used on F-12 and F-20 tractors. It is for a 4 cylinder engine. Since the Model F is a 2 cylinder motor terminals 2 and 4 on the mag are grounded out. I had the magneto rebuilt. (Now I'm not sure it needed it.) When I bench test the magneto with a grounded spark plug, turning the gear by hand the plug sparks nicely. Here is the problem!! When I mount the magneto to the engine and turn the motor over with the crank I can't get spark. Even with the spark plugs out, petcocks open, thus no compression, fairly steady RPM cranking no spark. I have the plug wires connected to the plug and the plug base grounded to the motor, no spark. I'm thinking I am not getting enough RPM on the mag with the impulse coupler removed to generate a good spark. BUT why did it work so good for all those years for the previous owner. What am I missing. I really do not want to proceed to engine start up until I'm sure I have spark. It is enough problem cranking under no compression versus actual start up cranking under compression. I would appreciate another way of approaching this problem. Thanks. John
john a goedeken

alsfarms

Re: High tension magneto for 1910 Buick Model F

Post by alsfarms » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:10 pm

Hi John, It is safe to say that you will not need to worry about starting your car until you get the Magneto to throw a good spark. At what RPM was you spinning the Mag. on your test bench? You are sure that you are not grounded out, essentially killing the Mag. (like the switch is off). I would encourage you to look for the basic easy things before you crusade to unknown territory. It is a very good sign that you had a nice spark on the bench.
Al

jgoedeken

Post by jgoedeken » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:58 am

Since my original inquiry I have made a coupler so I can turn the mag at a constant RPM on the bench with a drill. At about 10 RPM the spark looks adequate. At about 5 RPM it is weak and intermittent. I have tried several different spark plug numbers without much difference in performance. Are there any plugs I should try that perform better under lower voltage situations. Is there a consideration for timing the coil core-distributor disc to the breaker point assembly for low RPM spark. Thanks in advance for your consideration and advice. John
john a goedeken

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:45 am

Do you have the magneto back on your Buick? I do not have good experience with the different behavior of spark plugs, so I can't help much in that area. If you have the mag. on your car, I would spend a minute and see how fast you will have to crank to get your cam speed/mag. drive RPM's up to at least what you suggest you need in order to throw a good spark. You just need ignition for starting, once running, the RPM is not an issue at all.
Al

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:07 pm

Hello John and others that may have an interest in magneto information. Check out the following link.

http://www.oldcroak.com/bosch-du1-du2-d ... y-pre-ww1/

Al

Bharper

Post by Bharper » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:09 am

Hi Al,

Thank you So Much for the Bosch link. I acquired a car this summer which is equipped with a DU4. Coming from the Ford Model T world I am completely unfamiliar with this magneto. I do have a Dykes manual and it is good, but having access to genuine Bosch instructions is a blessing. Thank you, again!

Best Regards,
Bill Harper
Keene, New Hampshire

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:22 am

Sharing information is what this HCCA forum should be all about. Glad you enjoyed the website as have I. Good luck on on your DU4.
Al

RVAnderson

Post by RVAnderson » Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:09 pm

What magneto came on 1910 Buicks originally?

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:52 am

Hello John, Any update on your Buick magneto.
Al