Acetylene Gas tank

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
AlfTGuy

Acetylene Gas tank

Post by AlfTGuy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:50 pm

I recently bought a 1906 Cadillac Model M. The previous owner/s had an acetylene gas tank under the rear seat, but it was removed before I bought the car. I have read this is not a good idea. I've also read on another thread on this site that you can get a tank that is geared to be laid on it's side. So for a Cadillac Model M with no running boards, what is the best way to use an acetylene gas tank?
Thanks so much!
Steven G. Williams

MochetVelo

Re: Acetylene Gas tank

Post by MochetVelo » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:38 pm

The old Prest-O-Lite tanks were designed to be horizontal. You can recognize them by their off-center valves. You can still sometimes find them at welding supply houses. The original car tanks had a gauge on the bottom, buy they are too old to be refilled. The Horseless Carriage Gazette had a nice article a couple years back on how to install a tank in your car. Basically, it's a modern tank with regulator hidden in the rear. The old-style tank is used for decor only.

Phil

Prestolite Tanks.jpg
Prest-O-Lite Tanks
Prestolite Tanks.jpg (190.94 KiB) Viewed 9670 times

AlfTGuy

Post by AlfTGuy » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Phil, thanks so much for your reply. I've only been a member since 2015 and cannot find the article. I understand about modern tanks and discussing my application with the tank supplier to be sure I'm safe. But I wish I could remember where I read about under seat tank use being unsafe, and that is the key question for a car without running boards. My other option is to get my carbide gas generator restored so it will work, and use it.
Thanks!
Steven

MochetVelo

Post by MochetVelo » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:38 pm

A lot of guys are using the old carbide generators. They work fine. Check out the MTFCA Forum for lots of discussions. The under-body tank is safe if it's installed correctly. It has a pressure regulator and shut-off valve. I believe the set-up uses a MC tank, the smallest size (MC meaning "motorcycle"). I forget what issue the article was in; I think 2013 or 2014. I don't see it in the index. Email editor John Meyer and he could tell you.

Phil

wjguthrie

Post by wjguthrie » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:26 am

Use Google images. Search 1906 Cadillac. There are pictures of the tank strapped/mounted on the outside of the car frame.
Please refrain from restoring the survivors

MochetVelo

Post by MochetVelo » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:07 am

All the Prest-O-Lite tanks were mounted outside, usually on the running board. When you ran low on acetylene, you just traded it out at a dealer, sort of like propane tanks today.

Phil

AlfTGuy

Post by AlfTGuy » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:02 pm

The pictures I have seen of 1906 Model Cadillacs online show the carbide gas generators mounted on the frame. In fact, we took photos of such a frame mount on a Cadillac in a museum last summer, and had a mount made for our carbide gas generator to mount on the frame of this Cadillac. So I guess that's the way I'll go, use the gas generator, and forgo the use of an acetylene tank.
Thanks!
Steven

Johnwick88

Post by Johnwick88 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:46 am

Welding Torches vary greatly depending on what you need them to do. Learn about Acetylene Torches and different types of Welding Torches.

จีคลับ

MochetVelo

Post by MochetVelo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:16 am

These tanks are not for welding. They supply acetylene gas for the headlamps of pre-1916 cars.

MartyBufalini

Post by MartyBufalini » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:36 am

I was using an original acetylene tank on my 1914 but found it too messy. I went searching at some local welding supply houses and found an offset valve tank without the old gauge on the bottom. It even has "Prest-O-Lite" in fancy raised letters on the tank. It's now mounted on my running board and it is now so much easier to use my headlights. Easy on and easy off. Plus, I think due to the pressure from the tank, my headlights are not prone to blowing out as easy while driving.