Is this thing on? Where's the activity?

Share photos, videos, schedules and your experience touring in Brass-Era autos

Is this thing on? Where's the activity?

Postby jeff deringer » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:49 am

I would hope that people have been touring and have experiences and photos to share! Let me give it a try.

We live in Camas, Washington which is located across the Columbia River from Portland, Oregon in SW Washington. We planned on attending the 4th of July tour in Walla Walla, Washington, about 250 miles to the east. I decided to drive my beloved 29 Lincoln Squad Car/Fire Truck. It runs so great, and is a lot of fun to drive. Our trip started out in the rain (Ugh!), but it quickly turned sunny, then sunny and hot. Things were going great, cruising along Hwy 14 just North of the Columbia River with very little traffic Saturday, and we motored along comfortably between 55 and 60 mph. Like I said, the Lincoln runs great. What I failed to recognize was how thirsty it is at those speeds! We came to a sign after passing a gas station about 10 miles back saying "No Gas For 83 Miles". I stabbed the tank with my trusty wooden dowel, and determined that we could make it instead of back tracking, or going a different route. Not even close. We ran out of gas 28 miles west of the gas station in Patterson, Wa. Our spot was very close to the middle of nowhere. Apparently cruising at that speed while fun, is not economical, and we averaged around 7 mpg. Fortunately, the good people of the volunteer fire dept and cafe in Patterson each loaned us a can and soon we were back to the Lincoln to fill up and proceed east! It ran great the rest of the way and for the two days of touring. I love that car, and while it's not much to look at, it gathers a crowd everywhere we go, and goes like a bat out of hell!
Attachments
2017-07-01 001 001.JPG
2017-07-01 001 006.JPG
2017-07-01 001 014.JPG
2017-07-01 001 017.JPG
2017-07-01 001 016.JPG
jeff deringer

Re: Is this thing on? Where's the activity?

Postby oldcarfudd » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:34 pm

Great story! Thanks for posting.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder
oldcarfudd

Postby Jack » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Howdy Jeff,

Next time you come this far east, give me a call, I'm always looking to meet new people with old cars. I have a 1910 Overland Roadster I am in the process of restoring, also a 1911 Overland Touring in the same condition. I have a couple model a's I drive almost daily. Just got off the phone with Jim Barrett in Camas. Great guy, he has helped me many times with my mags.

Jack Remillard
Retired Asst Chief/Fire Marshal
City of Pendleton
Jack

Postby FullerMetz » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:06 am

One of my long time best friends had a 1925 model L Lincoln. Great car! There were a lot of reasons why he really loved that car. Fuel economy was not one of them.
Wonderful fire truck by the way.
FullerMetz

Return to Tour and Swap Meet Discussions