HCCA Sierra Vista Convention

Share photos, videos, schedules and your experience touring in Brass-Era autos
type35o

HCCA Sierra Vista Convention

Post by type35o » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:57 am

Hey Travelers,

Who is headed to Arizona for the HCCA Convention?
Bringing a car?

:lol:

oldcarfudd

Re: HCCA Sierra Vista Convention

Post by oldcarfudd » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:50 am

My wife and I are going. My last board meeting, since I didn't run for another term. We'll need back seats; trailering a car from NJ to AZ in February doesn't sound like fun!

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder, Morristown, NJ

Chris Paulsen

Post by Chris Paulsen » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:20 pm

I will be there. My father is bringing a car; I am not. I should have a ride for the first day at least. Probably day by day after that!
I can't wait!
Chris

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:20 pm

Joan and I arrived by rental car this afternoon. Beautiful, clear weather. The terrain around her is flat to gently-rolling valleys, elevation 4,600 feet, with mountains poking up all over. VERY dry! A total contrast from our home in NJ, where my old car trailer is locked into the ice and the driveways to my antique cars are impassable. It was a joy to see a parking lot full of brass cars, including the Paulsens' T they had trailered from KS and the Darbys' Mercer they had trailered from NJ despite the snow.

We had a short shake-down cruise this afternoon to Colorado National monument. About 35 miles round trip with a slow climb of 1000 feet to the monument. There is limited parking at the visitors' center, so the fresh-faced ranger (he looked to be all of 19) got to lecture everyone about the security risks of parking alongside the road. This place is miles from anywhere, but it may be crawling with terrorists driving century-old cars - who knew? The drive back down the access road gave a clear view of the border fence, truly a travesty on civilization. The rest of the scenery is gorgeous.

We have 27 pre-'16 cars signed up We hope they all come, since back seats will be at a premium. Jim and Jean Boyden brought their original '13 Oakland barn find. The Travises have come in an '05 Mitchell "Roarabout" that looks to be just as fast as the Renault they had at last year's convention. There's a '10 Rambler, a Marmon, an Abbott-Detroit and several Pierces to make a devotee drool.

Some of the directors are preparing a barbecue this evening. When it's over, I'll try to put up some pictures, if I can figure out how to do it from an iPhone. If I can't, our webmaster, Brad Balduff, will be along in a couple of days and can educate me.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:39 pm

Monday. We had 58-mile ride today. I got to ride in Gil Klecan's Pierce speedster, a smooth-running but pure blood-and-guts machine that can keep up with traffic. Gil provides a leather helmet and goggles, and they are needed! My wife, Joan, rode with Bran Klecan (Gil's wife) and Tom Klecan (their son) in a '15 Studebaker.

The morning coffee stop was at Fairbank, a ghost town. The coffee was provided by living people - at least they LOOKED living, but dry desert preserves ghosts quite well, I've been told. Fairbank used to be the junction of five railroads - now it's just a few old buildings and a gift shop. We then went on to an old windmill, where we had been told there would be a photo shoot. We were accosted by a gang of outlaws who tried to steal some of our women. The women fought back valiantly, whereupon the men started fist-fighting among themselves. The fist-fighting degenerated into serious gunplay - these western states with their liberal open-carry laws have their drawbacks - and, after a while, they had all shot each other dead. We left their worthless corpses to the vultures and drove on. Lots of fun!

On the way to the next stop we had to pass through a Border Patrol checkpoint. At first everyone got the full monte - IDs, drug-sniffing dogs, you name it. Eventually it dawned on the feds that a bunch of mostly older geezers driving even older cars probably were smuggling neither drugs nor people, and they waved us through. Some of them even smiled.

The final stop was at a cave. Big deal, you say - seen one cave, you've seen 'em all. Not so. I've been in a lot of caves, and this one had really spectacular formations, of many different types. Impressive as it was, I was even more impressed by the back story. These caves were discovered only 40 years ago. Since then the State of Arizona has acquired the land, built an excellent visitor's center, built disabled-friendly ramps and walkways, stabilized the area, and provided really well-done tours. When I think of the engineering, the environmental impact statements, the professional obstructionists and nay-sayers, to say nothing of getting appropriations and laws passed, they've done an amazing job.

The opening banquet is tonight. Even more important, Brad Balduff, the Webmaster, has arrived. Maybe he can teach me how to add some pictures to this deathless prose.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

Chris Paulsen

Post by Chris Paulsen » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:50 am

Like Gil said-having a great time. Here are a few photos of cars parked at Fairbank; including his ride for yesterday.
Attachments
2014-02-10 09.23.47.jpg
2014-02-10 09.23.28.jpg
2014-02-10 09.23.57.jpg

jeff deringer

Thanks for the reporting and posting of photos!

Post by jeff deringer » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:57 am

What a great time it looks like. Beautiful cars, scenery, and sun! Thanks again. This board needs more posting on tours like this. It's fun to see new cars, and see places one has never been. Also good to daydream about getting the old car fired up and on the road after the snow and slush have departed.

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:30 pm

Ever seen an army ghost town? We drove by one today. Camp Naco was an army garrison built during World War I, when Pancho Villa was raising cain south of the border in the Mexican Revolution and staged some raids into the U.S. The buildings, made of adobe and wood, are in an advanced stage of decay.

Quirky aside: Our tour booklet says Pancho Villa's favorite car was the Stanley Steamer. This seems unlikely, since water stops are few and far between in this terrain. Actually, one of the versions of the Mexican song "La Cucaracha" refers to Villa's Model T.

La cucaracha, la cucaracha,
Ya no puede caminar,
Porque no tiene, porque le falta,
Marijuana de fumar.

The cockroach, the cockroach,
Can't travel,
Because it lacks, because it needs,
Marijuana (gasoline) to smoke.

To this day, Mexicans and Mexican-Americans refer to Model Ts as cucarachitas, little cockroaches.

We return now to our regularly scheduled post. We traveled to Bisbee, a town with a storied history. It was a mining town for decades, until the mines petered out. Then it got a new lease on life as an open pit mine, and the residual ditch is mighty impressive. Environmental concerns led to its closing. I rode with Ken Kenewell and Shirley Johnson in their '14 Cucarachita today, and Ken told me that the copper smelting had been a reaL problem because of the resultant air pollution. For a while, the smelting was done in Mexico, where the environmental laws are - ahem - a bit looser, but the prevailing winds blew the grunge back into the U.S. and the hue and cry finally shut the operation down. Bisbee now offers a tour of the old underground mines; I didn't go, so maybe someone braver can post. Ken says Bisbee was quite a hippie haven in the '60s. Today the old buildings are full of quaint shops and restaurants. Shirley, who is scheduled to present a hat-making seminar tomorrow evening, had a successful shopping venture for supplies. Lunch on our own was good. On the way home we detoured past a trailer camp in which you can reserve accommodation in vintage trailers, like Airstreams. Coming home from Bisbee there was a serious hill and tunnel.

The board meeting starts in an hour. 'Bye for now.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:44 am

These aren't official minutes, but I'll try to put down some things that came up at the board meetings that might be of general interest.

Bill Ottemann is now Chairman, Bill Carpenter is President, Karl Darby is VP, Carl Pate stays on as Secretary, and Chris Paulsen is the new Treasurer and newest officer.

Carl Pate and Webmaster Brad Balduff are close to introducing a tour library to the website. People planning tours will be able to access tours from the past to get ideas. We hope this will expand and grow, so we can exchange tours with other clubs.

We are looking into establishing a tooling library. If someone has patterns or engineering drawings for specific old cars, wouldn't it be nice to have that information available so the next guy who needs it knows where to find it, if it exists, so he doesn't have to invent the wheel again?

The last ballot for national directors was included with the Gazette. This saved the club considerable postage. More important, it seems to have increased the voting turnout about 20%.

Regional Groups can sponsor up to 5 brand-new members a year at an introductory rate of only 20 bucks. This is not for renewing members or recent dropouts, but for genuinely interested new blood.

The National News is our electronic newsletter. Carl Pate puts it out. It goes by e-mail to Regional and Affiliated Register presidents, contact persons, editors and webmasters, as well as anyone else who asks for it. So far there have been 11 issues. Back issues are on the website. Information in the National News is (or soon will be - I didn't catch this) available in a format that can be cut and pasted into regional newsletters.

The eastern national 1&2-cylinder tour will be in Camden, ME, the week of September 9. The western folks are trying to make the Grizzly Bear tour an annual event, ending a day or two before Bakersfield.

There will be a web page for cars that have received the Century plaque.

A new Rambler Affiliated Registry is being formed.

We intend to publish a new roster this year. Please see that your information is up to date. Remember that, if you want to vote in national elections, you have to own at least one pre-'16 car, and the national office has to know about it.

We are looking for candidates to run for next year's board. If you have an interest, please speak up. We would like representation from various
parts of the country.

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:33 pm

Wednesday. Only 52 miles today. Violent death, booze, and wild, wild women were the order of the day. Wyatt Earp! Doc Holliday! The OK Corral! Boot Hill! TOMBSTONE!!

We got to see The Birdcage, a legendary theater/gambling hall/brothel that once hosted a poker game that lasted non-stop for several years; it cost $1,000 to get in the game. Rows of loges overlooking the stage weren't loges at all, but quickie bedrooms that could be rented, occupied, for 25 bucks. This was the longest time most of our wives had ever let their husbands spend in a whorehouse. A well-preserved horse-drawn hearse, that was many an unfortunate, slow-on-the-draw drunk's final ride, had curved glass and was built in Rochester, NY by Cunningham - we believe the same company that built the ultra-luxurious Cunningham car.

We saw reenactments of three famous gunfights. Some of us took stagecoach rides. Some took a mine tour of the source of much of the money in town, at least before there were HCCA tourists. Quite a few folks bought period clothing and other goodies in the well-stocked money magnets. We ate well at the Crystal Palace. We walked among the graves on Boot Hill and saw Wm. Carpenter's marker. Jeez, guys, we just made him HCCA President!

I shared the back seat of Tony Wolleson's '13 Pierce Arrow with John and Carolee Morrison. Up front with Tony was Donna Jones, and she did the driving! Most impressively, too - that Pierce is a heavy car with a four-speed unsychronized transmission.

After dinner this evening, webmaster Brad Balduff ran a clinic about the website: how to place ads, how to find ads, how to post text and pictures to the discussion boards, how Regional Groups and Affiliated Registers can post their websites and calendars to the national site and share their activities, how the new tour library will work when it soon goes live. The website has come a long way, and Brad has done a fantastic job. There were suggestions from the floor for further improvements, which Brad will make.

158 miles tomorrow. Nighty-night.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:02 pm

It's really tough to have to tour in crystal clear weather with temperatures in the 70s or higher, trying to keep sunblock from staining clothes and upholstery. I could be sitting comfortably in my living room in New Jersey, sipping a drink and looking out the window watching the skiing conditions improve. Sigh. Maybe there will be some snow left on the slopes when we get home.

Today was a much longer run, 158 miles. The western half had more varied terrain, and from Gary Paulsen's car (I was his passenger and nagravator) we saw three peccaries, an antelope, a soaring vulture and a road-kill coyote. The principal destination was Tumacacori National Monument, the ruin of the first Spanish mission in what is now Arizona. There is an excellent museum describing the history of the Jesuit and Franciscan efforts to "civilize" and convert the Indians, and the political intrigues that went along with the effort. Many of us ate at a third-generation restaurant just up the road from the mission. Most went on to Tubac, an art center.

There were a few Failures To Proceed. The most serious was Ken Kenewell's, whose T lost its left rear wheel. His car has repro Buffalo wire wheels, which are held in place by threaded hub caps. One hub cap unthreaded itself. The end of the axle dropped onto the pavement, which did neither the threads nor the brake shoe any good. Several of us were able to raise the car enough to get the wheel back on temporarily, so the T could be pushed into the vulture truck. The VERY good news is that all this drama took place as Ken was making a slow left turn in the middle of a town and in the middle of a dead-level three lane road. The errant wheel passed between two cars and bounced off the curb, where it and the hub cap were easily retrieved. No one was hurt. If it had happened on a downhill bend out in the boondocks, the result could have been a lot worse. Lesser FTPs were a vapor-locked Pierce Arrow (which eventually Proceeded), a bent steering rod on a T from hitting a pothole (it was straightened by hand and the T Proceeded), and one weird event. Jim Boyden's original '13 Oakland Failed To Proceed when the last of the four bolts holding the U-joint together went AWOL. A friendly local found Jim some bolts and nuts, and Jim Proceeded once again.

Tomorrow there will be a variety of activities - car games, driving instructions for women (several women have demonstrated that they don't need lessons), visits to a school, and self-guided tours. Drivers will have choices. In the evening we will end the convention with the President's reception, membership meeting and awards banquet. Then I can go home to what I hope will be excellent skiing conditions.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:30 pm

The convention is now over, and a fine time it was indeed. On Friday, several of us took cars to the Center for Academic Success, a charter school that starts in pre-K and goes through high school. Kids were brought out in orderly rows, which remained surprisingly orderly despite the obvious excitement of seeing the cars. And hearing about them. And being allowed to climb into them and move the wheels and levers. And, in the case of Alan and Mary Travis's Mitchell Roarabout, actually being allowed to sit up on the hood! But the best of all was the young man who, the day before, had received his learner's permit. He got a hands-on-the-wheel driving lesson in a Model T! He was arguably the happiest 15-year-old in Arizona that morning! I got several pictures, but I can't post them here because of school policy. I've sent them to the principal, who will post them on the schools' Facebook page with a link to the HCCA's Facebook page. So those of you who are into Facebook - I'm not - will be able to see the pictures eventually.

Eight of our ladies got driving lessons from Nancy Wall in a T and John Meyer in his REO, with ground school being provided by Kathie Conrad. The allocated space was rather small, so lessons concentrated on low, neutral, steering, and braking the car without breaking the car. They went over well, and the women seemed to be eager for a more advanced course. There were some pictures taken, so with luck someone will post them here.

There were car games. One was spearing a potato from a moving car. Some potatoes vigorously resisted being speared.

In the morning and early afternoon those cars not involved with the school or the driving lessons, or with a couple of short self-guided tours, were on public display for the local citizenry.

And then it was time to put our toys away and get cleaned up for the President's reception, banquet and membership meeting. Some members described upcoming tours. Donna Bunch told the story of reacquiring the Sears runabout that had once been in the family. Alan Travis told of his 20-year restoration of his 1905 Mitchell that had been badly damaged in a flood in 1907, and how he took the car back to give rides to the descendants of the original owners. Retiring President Bill Ottemann was given handsome plaque and well-deserved tributes. John Gebhard was awarded an honorary life membership for services to the club. John Morrison earned the HCCA's highest honor, the Marian Welch award.

And then it was over.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:50 pm

Thanks to my wife, who's smarter at this stuff than I am, you now have some pictures.of the Sierra Vista tour.
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 01.jpg
You can have any color you want, as long as it ISN'T black!
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 01.jpg (14.12 KiB) Viewed 30797 times
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 02.jpg
Gary Paulsen's Model T poses on the dirt road past the Coronado National Memorial.
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 02.jpg (16.36 KiB) Viewed 30797 times
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 03.jpg
Bob Reichwaldt's Rambler and a Model T at the Fairbank ghost town.
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 03.jpg (15.25 KiB) Viewed 30797 times
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 04.jpg
Ghostly gunslingers.
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 04.jpg (9.43 KiB) Viewed 30797 times
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 05.jpg
Open pit mine at Bisbee - that hole is HUGE!
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 05.jpg (14.35 KiB) Viewed 30797 times
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 06.jpg
Tour cars parked at Bisbee.
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 06.jpg (14.71 KiB) Viewed 30797 times
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 07.jpg
John McNichol's Marmon leaving tunnel, returning from Bisbee.
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 07.jpg (18.57 KiB) Viewed 30797 times
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 08.jpg
Model T on typical Arizona tour road.
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 08.jpg (10.9 KiB) Viewed 30797 times
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 09.jpg
Bob and Sue Troendly's Abbott-Detroit.
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 09.jpg (16.01 KiB) Viewed 30797 times
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 10.jpg
Jim and Donna Bunch's Sears on display in Tombstone.
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 10.jpg (14.06 KiB) Viewed 30797 times
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 11.jpg
Pat and John Meyer in their REO - usually John's on the other end of the camera!
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 11.jpg (16.76 KiB) Viewed 30797 times
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 12.jpg
Ken Kenewell's Model T after suffering a Failure To Proceed.
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 12.jpg (16.12 KiB) Viewed 30797 times
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 13.jpg
The ruins of Tumacacori Mission.
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 13.jpg (15.04 KiB) Viewed 30797 times

FullerMetz

Post by FullerMetz » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:47 am

Thank you GFtE and others for the wonderful reporting on what looks to have been a beautiful (and fun) meet!
I hope to see some of you at Bakersfield again this year.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Here are some additional pictures that my wife, Joan, took.
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 15.jpg
This lady, dressed for work in Tombstone, could have been on our tour.
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 15.jpg (66.73 KiB) Viewed 30776 times
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 08.jpg
Death before lunch.
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 08.jpg (86.5 KiB) Viewed 30776 times
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 05.jpg
Another view of Gary Paulsen's Model T, showing tour banner.
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 05.jpg (70.67 KiB) Viewed 30776 times
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 04.jpg
Mitchell, Mercer, and (I believe) Chalmers at Coronado National Monument.
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 04.jpg (76.57 KiB) Viewed 30776 times
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 03.jpg
Jim Boyden's '13 Oakland. The left wheels and right front fender are new, and aged to look like the rest of the car, which is as found.
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 03.jpg (90.26 KiB) Viewed 30776 times
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 01.jpg
Wouldn't you have liked this to be your car on tour?
Sierra Vista Tour 2014 - 01.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 30776 times

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:03 pm

Carolyn Gilmore took some pictures of the women's driving school that Nancy Wall (one of the instructors) passed on to me. The women seem very intent on learning how a Model T works. With luck, we'll soon see more women behind the wheel on tour.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder
Attachments
wsomens driving 3.JPG
womens driving 7.JPG
womens driving 6.JPG
womens driving 4.JPG
womens driving 2.JPG
women driving 8.JPG
women driving 5.JPG

hcca
Site Admin

HCCA visits the Center for Academic Success

Post by hcca » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:56 pm

IMG_2291.jpg
As long as my friend keeps petting the snake, it won't bite me
IMG_2291.jpg (52.63 KiB) Viewed 30551 times
Old_Time_Cars_Feb_14_2014_017.jpg
This is how your great-great-grandpa's car worked!
Old_Time_Cars_Feb_14_2014_017.jpg (44.65 KiB) Viewed 30551 times
oldtime_car_3.jpg
If you're happy and you know it, wave your hands
oldtime_car_3.jpg (41.01 KiB) Viewed 30551 times
COVER_PHOTO.jpg
Whenever you back up, be careful to look behind you!
COVER_PHOTO.jpg (55.52 KiB) Viewed 30551 times
20140214_120846.jpg
ONE DAY after getting a learner's permit, a hands-on-the-wheel Model T driving lesson!
20140214_120846.jpg (43.56 KiB) Viewed 30551 times
Here are five pictures, taken by others but with my captions, from our visit to the Center for Academic Success. You can also read the center's write-up at http://www.casschools.com.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

FullerMetz

Post by FullerMetz » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:29 am

Thank you Gil FtE