water pump / wood spokes

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages

water pump / wood spokes

Postby mojoe59 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:20 pm

What is the best coating to use on the inside of an aluminum water pump after bead blasting to protect the metal? Is glyptal suitable? Also,
best material to fill small gaps between wood spokes near center hub. Thanks
mojoe59

Re: water pump / wood spokes

Postby jeff deringer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:41 am

Hello,

A nice man on this very board turned me on to an epoxy type product called "Git Rot". I found it to work very well on the gaps in my spokes because it flows (sometimes to much and too fast!) Get the syringes to apply it with. My advice would be to mix it in very small batches, because a little goes a long way. But it seems to work great.

Good luck!
jeff deringer

Postby mojoe59 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:36 am

Jeff,
Thanks for the info. I will search it down and give it a try. Appreciate the help.
Joe
mojoe59

Postby MochetVelo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:25 pm

Kwik Poly is another water-thin epoxy popular in wood restoration work. It's available from Lang's and Restoration Supply. Some guys add metal shims to loose spokes. You must be careful that your wheels are solid and tight, however. They should require a screw press or the like to push them into place against the felloe. If you are unsure and do a lot of driving, you are better off getting new spokes made. You don't want a wood-spoke wheel to come apart when under stress (like making a turn on a bumpy road). My favorite source of advice is the Model T Ford Club of America Forum. Type this into Google:
"loose spokes MTFCA" and you will get some interesting reading!

Phil

Here is one discussion on loose spokes:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/25 ... 1333058213
MochetVelo

Postby john88 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:13 am

Thanks for the info.
goldenslot
john88

Return to Restoration Tips & Advice