Rebuild Improvements for Reliability 1909 Locomobile

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages
alsfarms

Re: Rebuild Improvements for Reliability 1909 Locomobile

Post by alsfarms » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:50 am

This picture shows a bit of evolution that took place with the same Locomobile body type between 1909 and later in 1910. This car is not a factory photo but does show a car load of dapper fellows out on the town. Notice, the headlamps are Solar, it is fitted with a left side Klaxon electric horn and lastly the rear fender show a skirt or lip on the periphery of the rear fender. The 1910 body is the same as 1909, having no front doors. This picture also shows placement of a battery box, needed for the oil electric Solar side and tail lights and the electric horn. 1911 will put the doors up front. We can learn many "Tips" from photographs but must take into context, that this image is of a car that is now privately owned and therefore could have had some owner preferred changes made. I like the photo anyway.
Al
Attachments
DSC02004.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:08 am

Here is a picture of a brake handle release grip that i machined out of SS as the original went the way of rust.
Al
Attachments
DSC01968.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:40 am

Notice the new machined SS coupler that connects the pull rod to the handle.
Al

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:43 am

Here is another view of the handle, this one from the underside. It needs to be smoothed, polished and finished but will work very nicely on the brake handle.
Al
Attachments
DSC01969.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:44 am

My "Tip" for the day, with perseverance anything can be accomplished.
Al

F12MAC

Post by F12MAC » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:51 am

Nice work Al.You are correct in your tip of the day.How much more work have you got before the car is on the road?
Cheers Pete

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:43 pm

The Locomobile is now a modular car after many years of getting parts recast and machined that were made out of "unobtainium". Here is a bit of a run down on the project to date. Body built, top irons in hand, all brass is mostly done and ready, engine is rebuilt and runs nicely, wheels have new wood, trans and rear end are in original condition, new hood in the box with front fenders, radiator, shifter and pedal assembly need some finish and fitting. I need to work on the throw out assembly for the clutch and original muffler. I am currently trying to come up with a good repair for the eyes of the new springs I ordered. I am also working on the fuel delivery system. Lots of little things to be done and I am just about at the final curve before the final straight to the finish line.
Al

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:24 am

Here is a picture of an original rusty emergency brake lock out and a new one I machined. This piece is down on the bottom of the hand brake lever. When you squeeze the above pictured handle, the attached pull rod lifts this lock device and allows pressure to be applied on the emergency brakes. When you let off the squeeze handle the brakes are locked in. I made this piece out of SS, once again so the next owner will never have to deal with the serious rust that I have.
Al
Attachments
DSC01972.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:09 pm

Here is a picture of the transmission lock out piece. This is on the bottom of the shifter arm, when you push the button down on the top of the handle, it unlocks the shifter from the gear it is in and you can then select another gear. This Locomobile does have a selective transmission whereas the earlier models were still dealing with the Progressive type.
Al
Attachments
DSC01974.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:13 pm

I forgot to mention that I machined this lock out piece from SS. It is harder to machine but the end result is well worth it. "Tip" for the day.
Al

F12MAC

Post by F12MAC » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:04 am

Al what type of stainless do you use? I know that some stainless machines better then others. My son and daughter in law spent a day in the shop machining/making their wedding rings from stainless that machined like butter.pete

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:38 am

Hello Pete, I choose to use a fully non-magnetic type of SS, for my antique parts building projects. (Magnetic SS is good also but you will eventually have rust). That way rust should never be an issue. SS is a nice tough material and can be polished to a nice luster or painted or plated. How did the rings turn out? Share a picture with us of the ring project. Maybe some of us old car guys will want to experiment and make a ring or two, for parts for our antiques. The "Tip" could be a good one.
Regards,
Al

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:28 pm

I have been thinking, about my description of what the shift lever lock out device was used for. I simply was not sure that what I suggested was totally correct. As a result, I went to the shop and pulled out my original Locomobile brass four speed shifter gate and now I can relate the Paul Harvey "Rest of the Story". I will attach a few pictures that show the shifter gate from different positions and I will update my description on how the transmission lock out device will work. View one, from the top side.
Attachments
DSC02012.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:30 pm

View two from the bottom.
Attachments
DSC02013.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:32 pm

Third view from the side.
Attachments
DSC02014.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:02 pm

Now I will share the "Rest of the Story". Looking at the first of the three pictures, you will notice a longer shift slot. That is the slot that allows the operator to shift into reverse, (further forward than being engaged in 1rst gear for forward motion). Views 2 and 3 show the bottom and side views of the shifter gate wherein you will notice two nubs, one on each side of the longer shift slot. It is these nubs that "lock" the transmission away from being shifted into reverse, (by way of the lock out device shown above) unless you really meant to! So, to operate, and shift into reverse, you would first stop the cars forward motion. Next, slide the transmission shift lever over to find the longer outside gate shifting slot. Then you would push down on the button on top of the shift lever. By pushing the button down, that motion pushes the lock device down and out of contact with the nubs as shown in view 2 and 3, on the bottom of the shifter gate. At this time and hopefully with a minimal amount of gear clatter, you push the lever on forward and into the reverse position. Serious note: Don't forget to have the clutch fully disengaged through the shifting process to get into reverse. (Then don't forget to look backwards as when you let out the clutch as you will be going in reverse)! Boy were those the days! We could actually do our own thinking instead of having some dang on-board computer do our thinking for us as we drive. My "Tip" for the day, newer has its advantages, but hmmm, I am not so sure it is better than when we had to think for ourselves and know what we were doing! Maybe we are getting lazy with modern technology doing all our thinking for us.
Al

F12MAC

Post by F12MAC » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:36 pm

Al he used 303 stainless for the rings. Machines very nicely,sorry can not get pictures at this time. Cheers pete

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:37 pm

I am going to post a picture about buying antique automobile literature. I have purchased an original Locomobile Service and Operators Manual, with the assurance of it having no missing pages and everything tight together (as in no loose pages). I won't tell you what the problem is, but you take a look at the attached picture, study it and you give me a "Tip" as to what you see that is wrong.
Al
Attachments
DSC02020.JPG

F12MAC

Post by F12MAC » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:14 pm

You don't need a tip,you need pages 39 to 46. Pete

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:33 pm

You have a good eye! The "Tip" of the day, be careful when it comes to buying things on the internet. You may get a hidden surprise! (like I did). Does anyone here have a copy of the same Locomobile Instruction Book that I have? I would sure like to add the missing pages to my book, even copies!
Al