Making a Buick spring bumper holder

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages
15max

Making a Buick spring bumper holder

Post by 15max » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:34 am

At sometime in my 2cyl Buick's life the spring clamp ends on one side of the rear axle were twisted off and they could no longer be used without discarding the rebound bumper holder. There were just enough threads to get a nut on that way.
Bmpr1.jpg
I thought welding a piece of pipe or tubing to a plate would make a good replacement. However I could not find anything the right diameters to do that. At some point in my search I found a much later brake hub that looked about right. As it turned out I was able to make the whole replacement out of the hub by turning it to size and trimming off the sides. It ended up exactly the same dimensions except for a little notch where a lug bolt hole had been. Finding something that works is where the magic lies in the old car hobby.
Bmpr2.jpg
New U-clamps were made by threading the ends of a 1/2" X 1" bar and bending it around a heavier bar.
Bmpr3.jpg

cudaman

Re: Making a Buick spring bumper holder

Post by cudaman » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:19 am

Great work! I can't tell the exact size, but if you need new rubber bumpers of that shape the aftermarket sells them for Mopar muscle cars.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOG-K7293?rrec=true

15max

Post by 15max » Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:45 am

Thanks for the tip. I made mine from a rubber hammer head. It was on sale with one of those cheap fiberglass handles. Machining the rubber was tough. Someone said to freeze it first.

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:40 am

Good Work! Craftiness is a large part of our hobby for sure and you were broadly thinking to come up with the brake drum idea for you bumper piece. Have you thought of freezing the rubber hammer head then shaping with a grinder mounted to the cross slide of your lathe?
Al

15max

Post by 15max » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:41 am

As always, better ideas and suggestions come to me after making parts. The ready made Summitracing part would be my next choice.
Thanks again.