1922 Studebaker roadster

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages

1922 Studebaker roadster

Postby David Roberts » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:46 pm

I own a 1922 Studebaker light six roadster. The aluminum head is fused to the head and bolts, we have tried everything we know to get the head off the block but have come to the realization that we will (most likely) have to break the head to get it off. Does anyone know which years used this aluminum head on this model car? Is there a possibility of getting a cast iron head that will work? I have seen the aluminum heads for sale on Ebay, but the asking price has been around $2,500, seems a bit much to me. Any suggestions, advice or information on possible ways to fix this issue will be deeply appreciated.

Thank you,

David Roberts: 209-245-4841 or Ranchocicada@gmail.com
David Roberts

Re: 1922 Studebaker roadster

Postby nsbrassnut » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:16 pm

Most heads heads should have some thickness in the casting around the bold hole. Would it be possible to use a metal hole saw that would just fit over the studs and then drill down around the head stud to the gasket to free the head?

If the hole saw could cut a "thin" enough hole around the stud it may free up the head to allow it to be removed.

This would not work on a head held on by bolts unless all the bolt heads were machined off first.

If the alternative is to destroy the head, there should be little to lose by trying a hole saw approach.

If a hole saw cannot be readily found, a machinist may be able to make a special one or a similar tool that would do it.

Good luck,

Jeff
Canada
nsbrassnut

Postby MochetVelo » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:03 pm

Doesn't it have a head gasket?
MochetVelo

Postby nsbrassnut » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:27 pm

HI David

I'm assuming that you are trying to take off a removable head with a head gasket and that the main problem is that the head is stuck on the head bolts/studs. I think this is the most likely place for it to stick when the aluminum corrodes and closed in around the bolt/stud.

A removable head will have a head gasket. If the head gasket is the problem, it may be possible to break the seal slowly. The gasket should be a "sandwich" and if so a stiff thin paint scraper can be tapped in a bit at a time to break the seal. It does however ruin the gasket.

Good Luck.

Jeff
Canada
nsbrassnut

Postby JV Puleo » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:06 pm

The hole saw idea it the way to go, though you may have to make one or have one made. It can be used with a hand crank drill as you are not really cutting metal as much as dislodging the aluminum oxide that has collected around the studs. Make sure it is only a few thousandths larger on the id than the studs and as thin as possible. If you do have to remove some metal from the head in doing it, the holes can be bushed quite readily. If you use a hand drill, you'll be able to "feel" it cutting. It would be a tedious job, but ought not to be difficult or require great skill. All this would be much better, and less expensive, than buying a replacement head. The gasket may be stuck as well, but it will be far less a problem than the studs. Actually, I'm presuming the head is held on by studs. If it has head bolts, and these can be removed, then its only the gasket holding it. If it has studs, and they are screwed into the block, they should be removed after the holes have been cleaned up. Removing the head itself should be even easier. You probably should replace the studs in any case as they are likely to have stretched.
JV Puleo

Return to Restoration Tips & Advice