Need help removing new wood spokes so I can powder coat whee

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages

Need help removing new wood spokes so I can powder coat whee

Postby Jack » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Howdy Boys,

I acquired an early Overland last year, and I would like to remove the new spokes that are on the car, so I can get the wheels, along with all of the other undercarriage parts, powder coated. The spokes have been treated with something, not sure what, and will have to be painted Blue, as this was the stock color. They were installed after the metal parts had been primed, but not painted. As stated above, I would like to powder coat all of the metal parts, but have to remove the spokes in order to do so. It has been suggested to me NOT to remove the spokes, just mask them off and paint the metal, but, I would rather have them powder coated. Can't do that with the wood spokes in place, as the metal will be heated to approx. 600 degrees.

Shoot me an email if you have some good advice!

jpremi@charter.net

Thanks for the help,

Jack
Jack

Re: Need help removing new wood spokes so I can powder coat

Postby jeff deringer » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:27 pm

Those who made suggestions to you are wise. Mask and paint. Trust me. My 14 Overland was done this way in the early 90's and it still looks great. Don't invite problems!
jeff deringer

Re: Need help removing new wood spokes so I can powder coat

Postby Jack » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:09 pm

Thanks Jeff, I'll take your advice. After looking things over, I agree, that is the best solution.
Jack

Return to Restoration Tips & Advice