Need needle valve 1920 Cadillac

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages

Need needle valve 1920 Cadillac

Postby Cadillac Bill » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:51 am

Before I got the car, a previous mechanic installed a needle valve with a rubber tip. I think the float is getting stuck and need to find a needle that is all metal. I am new to the very old cars and have been working on the more modern cars, like 1956-1960!

Where can I find the needle?

I do have a 1919-1920 Shop Manual
Attachments
1920 Cadillac.jpg
Cadillac Bill

Re: Need needle valve 1920 Cadillac

Postby JV Puleo » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:08 pm

If the mechanic installed a needle with a viton tip, he did you a favor (provided it's the right size). It is very unlikely that is causing your problem... I don't have any idea what carburetor you have but my first old car was a 26 Cadillac with a Johnson carb — apparently notoriously difficult to work with although mine didn't cause me much trouble after I got rid of the idiotic electric fuel pump the "old timers" recommended. You should probably take the carb off and throughly clean it (not relying on someone having said they did), set it up on a bench and see if you can adjust the float level. It might have a cork float that needs attention (mine did). In any case, if you replace the needle with another metal one, you'll have to lap the seat or it won't seal properly.
JV Puleo

Postby Cadillac Bill » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:39 am

Thanks for your reply. I have received a carburetor kit from "The Carburetor Shop" and a float on eBay. Problem was with the home made (previously owner) cork float. Was not seating properly. Since the fuel pressure seems around 2 psi, according to the gage, a vitron tip (included with metal) needle valve is the best choice. Have the carb off the car while I am rebuilding the starter motor.
Cadillac Bill

Postby Johnwick88 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:29 am

Wow. :shock: Good Restoration.

gclub slot
Johnwick88

Postby Davidm » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:31 am

I have experienced a sticking Viton tipped needle valve.
Sometime ago I fitted a low pressure electric fuel pump to a 1920's Packard for use only when vapor lock occurred. It bypassed the vacuum tank. I fitted a Viton tip to the float needle valve to avoid flooding when the pump was in use. After that the engine would occasionally stop and it took some time to find that the Viton tip was sticking to the seat, cutting off the fuel supply. It was an intermittent problem so it took some time to find. Since replacing the Viton needle with the original metal needle, the problem has never re-occurred.
Davidm

Return to Restoration Tips & Advice