Waterless Coolant: for Brass-Era Cars?

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages

Waterless Coolant: for Brass-Era Cars?

Postby MochetVelo » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:10 pm

I received an email today from Dave Wright, Technical Sales Manager of Evans Cooling Systems, makers of the popular waterless engine coolants. I heard about this product in one of Jay Leno's videos. It has several advantages over the regular antifreeze/water mix. You can purchase it from Restoration Supply. I'd read on the Evans web site that they don't recommend the product for the early cars with non-pressurized cooling systems, so I asked about this. Here is Dave's reply:

Evans has been used in multiple pre WW 1 application. But it depends on the application and the reason for using waterless coolant. For example 1918 Hudson won The Great Race a few years ago using Evans Coolant. Evans gave the Hudson the advantage of not boiling over at the higher temperature experienced during the race. Although the system leaked profusely during the race they never stopped.

Leakage and temperature range are the reason for the website recommendation. All of these systems were designed (I use that term loosely) to run 100 % water, not pressurized, with or without pumps, grease/rope seals and paper/ copper asbestos gaskets. These components do not seal properly with a coolant that has a low surface tension similar to synthetic oil. Also the engine component material is not up to modern standards and cannot with stand the higher temperatures capable with Evans Coolant under given circumstances.

I've heard similar reports about "Water Wetter". That is, the mixture is more prone to leakage. It seems to me, however, that it would be a nice option if you have a tight, non-leaking cooling system. This product has a high boiling point (375 degrees F), does not promote rust or oxidation, and never needs to be changed. The downside (other than the cautions above) is that you must flush the system completely with their special product to removes all water.

Phil Jamison
MochetVelo

Re: Waterless Coolant: for Brass-Era Cars?

Postby Davidm » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:30 am

Phil,
I believe you will find that the Evans Waterless Coolant is not suitable for cars that rely on thermo-syphon cooling. The car must have a water pump otherwise the coolant will not circulate.
David
Davidm

Postby MochetVelo » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:18 am

I don't understand. Why won't it circulate?

Phil
MochetVelo

Postby Davidm » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:03 am

Good question, my comment was based on the experiences of a friend who tried it in a small English car that did not have a water pump. He checked with the local supplier and was told that it was only suitable for cars with water pumps. I could not find this disclaimer on the web site.

I quick search on the net revealed this comment:

"I had a discussion with the UK Evans people and my recollection of that discussion was that it is not suitable for thermosyphon systems since the change in density with temperature is insufficient to promote circulation. Anybody contemplating using a waterless coolant in a thermosyphon cooling system should discuss their proposed use with the manufacturer and get the answer in writing!"

This is the source of the above comments: http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/ ... IC_ID=8807
Davidm

Postby MochetVelo » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:35 am

The reason I question this is because I assume a number of people are using the Evans products. I know Jay Leno says he uses it in all his cars. Also, it's featured in the Restoration Supply Co. catalog, which caters primarily to brass-era car owners.

Phil
MochetVelo

Postby Davidm » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:05 am

Phil,
More searching on line reveals this comment on the Evans web site: "Not suitable for engines using thermo-syphon cooling systems"

Refer this web site under the heading "Application: http://www.evanscoolants.co.uk/Coolants ... c_cool_180

David
Davidm

Postby MochetVelo » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:30 am

Correct. Hence, my original post of the question and response from Evans.

Phil
MochetVelo

Return to Restoration Tips & Advice