Did You Drive Your Pre-'16 Today?

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
oldcarfudd

Did You Drive Your Pre-'16 Today?

Post by oldcarfudd » Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:40 pm

The AACA website has a popular thread called something like "Did You Drive Your Classic Car Today?" I'm hoping a similar one here will stimulate some activity. I don't expect a lot of posts until Spring, except from our members in Florida or Down Under, but here's one post to start the ball rolling.

I belong to an informal group called Cars and Croissants. We meet somewhere - venue changes frequently - every other weekend from 8:30 to 11 am, alternating Saturday and Sunday. There are no dues, officers, formal meetings, or trophies; just show up, kick tires, tell lies, and go home. It started as a group of very high end, VERY exotic modern cars - one of the founders has a Ferrari AND a Maserati AND a Lamborghini - and it still skews that way. But anything interesting is welcome. Last weekend there were several classic British sports cars (including an XK-120 to die for), some hybrids and electrics (we sometimes get a Tesla or two, or an electric motorcycle), a single-cylinder Isetta (an itty-bitty '50s bubble car that you get into by opening the whole front end), and two open Cadillacs - a gargantuan car from the '60s, and my 1907 single-cylinder Model K.
IMG_0752.jpg
IMG_0752.jpg (52.43 KiB) Viewed 23418 times
It was fairly cold, about 25 degrees, so it was a chilly ride with no windshield. My car got quite a bit of attention, especially whenever I cranked it up. On the 9-mile ride home, I was chugging up a long hill in low gear when the XK roared by. A fun morning! If I can figure out how, I'll post the snapshot I took with my cell phone.

OK, guys and gals, your turn. Did you drive your pre-'16 today?

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder, Morristown, NJ

Rrdoubleday

Re: Did You Drive Your Pre-'16 Today?

Post by Rrdoubleday » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:52 am

Great idea! We need to increase the activity on these boards.

Karl Elliott

Dick Henza

Post by Dick Henza » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:41 am

Your 1907 Cadillack is a Super; :D :D

pfindlay

Post by pfindlay » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:09 pm

Well, I'm a long ways from Florida, but I had my '11 Cadillac out on Boxing Day, December 26. The Vintage Car club of Canada has a tradition of getting the cars out for a drive around Stanley Park (Vancouver, British Columbia) each year. This year it was mild, 6 degrees Celcius (approx. 43 degrees F) and dry. It was a perfect day for a drive in a brass car.

Peter Findlay
President, HCCA Vancouver Regional Group
http://antique.vccc.com

Jugster

Post by Jugster » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:05 pm

It's December 28th and the weather here on Long Island warmed up to 54 degrees, more than enough excuse to fire up our '15 Ford, "Penelope," and go for a ride. We put on about a dozen miles and as the sun lowered, so did the temps. Usually, I can feel heat through the floorboards, but not today; and the car drove like it was cold, which, I suppose, it was. Anyway, I figure it's better to bundle up and give the ol' gal a little exercise than to pickle the engine and put her up on jack-stands.

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:14 am

Peter, nice Cadillac! I'd forgotten that the far west coast of North America has benign winters all the way into Canada.

Jugster, yes, it did warm up here Saturday afternoon. But when I wound up the rubber band in the '13 T to go park among the Porsches at a Cars and Croissants gathering, it was still only 28F, about -2C. I had the only folded top, even among the few who brought ragtops - not that putting up the top would have kept me any warmer. Several people, after praising their electric seats, asked me whether I had any kind of heater, and I gave my stock answer: Yes, I have both a heater and an air conditioner. They work perfectly but, alas, six months out of phase with the weather. The AC works perfectly in February, and the heater works perfectly in August!

One man brought his teen-age daughter for the second time. On the prior occasion, he had taken her picture seated behind the wheel of my Ford. Since then, she had earned an A on a paper she'd written about Henry Ford and the Model T for a high school class. So this time she got a T ride. If she keeps coming after she gets her learner's permit, I'll give her a T lesson. She wants to become an engineer. The future of the hobby is in good hands!

One fellow showed up in a brand new 'Vette, a most impressive toy. He was bragging about his seven-speed manual transmission, and someone asked me how many speeds I had. So I counted 'em up: none in the Stanley, two in the T, two in the one-lung Cadillac, and three in the '12 Buick - seven, just like the Corvette!

Happy New Year to all.
Attachments
image.jpg

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:56 am

DSC00420.JPG
DSC00420.JPG (68.22 KiB) Viewed 23229 times
I thought I would share a picture of what we have been dealing with in the high desert of Utah. Most everything is put to bed for the winter. All of the early cars are in the garage. This poor Alvis gets to sleep in the snow.

Al

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:40 pm

January 1, 2014 10:30 am temperature 25 degrees 'nuf sed!

We're supposed to get a blizzard Thursday night so you won't be hearing from me for awhile.

Happy New Year!

Gil Fitzhugh
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg

Jerry Alexander

Post by Jerry Alexander » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:03 am

It have been way below zero but your idea has warmed me up. I look forward to getting my '15 Model 22 out and about in more reasonable weather. But I am anxious! Thanks!! :D

Chris Paulsen

Post by Chris Paulsen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:19 pm

I had my '14 T out a couple days ago. It was a balmy 15 degrees.
Attachments
2014-02-02.jpg
2014-02-02.jpg (126.51 KiB) Viewed 22929 times

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:54 pm

Between all the ice and snow, and salt on the roads, and recovering from a skiing fall, it wasn't until Friday that I was able to take the Model T for a ride. All went well, and it fired right up after sitting idle for over three months.

Saturday I loaded my recycling stuff into the T, but got no buzz from the coils. I was able to start it on mag - I can't always do that at the feeble speed I can crank - and I had a pleasant ride to recycling. When I got back, I put my charger on the battery, but the charger said I wasn't hooked up correctly. I tried a couple of other positions - I charge my battery by raising the hood and connecting the charger to the battery wire at the coil box and to ground - but got the same message. "Hmm-m-m", said I to myself, "I wonder whether a wire has come loose." So I looked underneath and found - drum roll, please - no battery! It must have bounced out on Friday when I hit a pothole (of which we have many this spring), and taken the wire with it. Somewhere beside a bumpy road in Morris County, NJ, there's a car battery without a home.

By this time it was too late to go battery-shopping. So yesterday (Sunday) and today I put 48 very pleasant miles on the '12 Buick that I had intended to put on the T. Tomorrow I'll go find a battery.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

Rrdoubleday

Post by Rrdoubleday » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:18 am

Could the battery still be in the pothole?

Karl

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:02 am

Once a year the group I sometimes hang with, called Cars and Croissants, does a fund-raising show for the school in our township. I told the organizer I'd bring a car and he asked: "Only one?" Gulp! So yesterday I steamed up the Stanley and managed to get it to the show with only one unscheduled fire. Then a neighbor took me home in his XKE (who says all fun collector cars have to be brass?) and I made the trip in the one-lung Caddy. I had arranged to park my cars together so I could stand in one place and answer questions. And there were tons of questions! Firing up the steamer at the end of the show drew a pretty interested crowd. After I got it home, another neighbor took me back in his father's modern Rolls-Royce (who says all new cars are the same?) to get the Caddy. Fun day, but after I blew down the Stanley and got both cars put away, I needed a nap!

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:47 pm

Today there was a picnic lunch at the home of George and Georgiana Paril, editors of Blowin' Off Steam, the newsletter of the Antique Steam Touring Affiliated Registry. I took my '11 Stanley 10-horse toy tonneau, and it behaved very well. Don Davidson and Sarah Stanley (yes, THAT Stanley) came in their new, and gorgeous, '13 Ford touring; I accused them of having gone over to the dark side. Less fortunate was a 1920 Stanley 7-passenger touring. It was fired up to great cheers, but pushed back after an overfilled boiler spilled raw water into the cylinders, to no good effect whatsoever. I'll try to add pictures in a separate post.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder
Attachments
IMG_1094.JPG
IMG_1093.JPG
IMG_1092.JPG
IMG_1090.JPG

R Holden

Post by R Holden » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:07 pm

Hi all

We have the luxury of a milder climate (most of the time!) we restore our cars to drive and frequently do, below is a photo of on of our cars at the National 1 & 2 cylinder rally recently held in Robe, South Australia. The "driver" is our younger daughter Andrea who I always told "when you can start it you can drive it" she crank started it 5 times on that rally so I taught her to drive it. Hopefully this will cement a long term love of our old cars.
Attachments
1902 Thomas at Robe SA.jpg

15max

Post by 15max » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:45 am

Not quite pre-'16 but almost. Slowing down for traffic in Idaho.
Attachments
Y14_08a.jpg

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:01 am

My Stanley uses kerosene for the main fire. This is a problem, since kerosene pumps don't exist in northern NJ. But jet fuel - essentially kerosene - does exist, and there's a small airport nearby that is allowed to pump into a container but not into a vehicle (road taxes, you know). I realized that my '12 Buick touring could carry 4 5-gallon containers. So off I went, about 20 miles each way on back roads, including some dirt, through beautiful horse country. It took a bit of persuasion to get the airport guy to believe I wanted jet fuel, not aviation gasoline. Now I'm good for another 200 miles in the Stanley.

Next Wednesday the New Jersey tour will use some of these same roads.

15max

Post by 15max » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:03 pm

We toured with the VMCCA in Logan, Utah last week. Our "1909" T and a 1913 Hudson were the only brass Era cars out of 90+ registered. It was a great time but tough to keep up with cars in the 50's to 80's.
Attachments
Logan7.jpg
Logan1.jpg

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:01 pm

There was a charity concours at the Trump National Golf Course (yeah, THAT Trump) to benefit the Trump Foundation, which helps kids with cancer. They wanted participating drivers to pony up 350 bucks a car. I demurred, because (1) I already donate to cancer and (2) I don't pay to let people see my cars. But then the organizer e-mailed me and said they'd like to have some unusual cars, at no entry fee, and would I bring something? So Joan and I took the '12 Buick to an immaculate country club on a glorious warm day, and schmoozed with owners of some pretty exotic stuff. I was parked next to a very nice Morgan Plus 4. There were several Rolls Royces, including one I presume belonged to The Donald Himself (statue of Himself above the instrument panel, and NY vanity plate that said "ARRIVED"). He was In Residence, having arrived in a huge helicopter. Lots of free lunch, including ice cream (accepted) and free beer and whiskey (declined - I'm no prude, and I enjoy a tipple, but not in the middle of a warm day when I have to drive home in a brass car). Very few people came to this affair - there seemed to be NO publicity - but there were several gorgeous, unbelievably tall, ultra-high-heeled creatures floating around. (Sorry, guys, no pictures.) I had several interesting conversations, but the most unusual was with a fellow from India who'd brought a '90-something Bentley. He asked intelligent questions, but when he asked where the tires came from, I said: "You guys!" Then I poked around among the EPA-mandated crap on my Coker Goodrich 33x4s until I found the little marking: "Made in India". Well, folks, many people have taken pictures of my cars, but this is the first time someone ever focused his cell phone on two inches of small writing on the sidewall of my tire. He couldn't have been more surprised if I'd said my tires were drop-shipped from Saturn!
IMG_1521.jpg
Open cars, then and now.
Gil Fitzhugh the Elder

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:03 pm

I drove the one-lung to a Cars and Croissants today. The temperature was 22 when I left the house, and 25 when I got home, so the snowmobile suit was very welcome. The only other topless attendee was a 1960 Triumph TR-3a. I was joined by a BMW Isetta in the parking lot, so we one-lung types had each other for company among the Porsches, Corvettes and Lotuses. Then a fellow from the local Cadillac dealership parked his new electric Caddy demo next to me. It works like a Chevy Volt - all electric, except that there's a small gas engine to run a generator so you can make a trip that's longer than your battery will take you. The two Cadillacs attracted a lot of attention.
Attachments
IMG_1605.JPG
Top of the line Cadillac technology, 108 years apart.