Top rest or Top saddle......what to do

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
alsfarms

Top rest or Top saddle......what to do

Post by alsfarms » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:08 pm

I am near the stage of building the top for a 1909 Locomobile Toy Tonneau. My question is; What is the most original for the bigger cars, a top rest with leather straps (as in Model T Fords) or a more sophisticated top saddle that supports and secures each of the four bows (with a clamp device)? Next question; Who would be a good source for the wooden bows? I would like to see a few good close-up pictures of well done assemblies, if someone is willing to take the time to post or email.
Thanks,
Alan

MochetVelo

Re: Top rest or Top saddle......what to do

Post by MochetVelo » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:33 pm

I use Bareville Woodcraft in Leola, PA for top bows. They make them of oak, and do good work; the least expensive you'll find, I think. They come unfinished, so you shape the edges and fit them into the sockets. You give them the dimensions and radius of the bend. You can also try Oak Bows in Chambersburg, PA. Another good source is John's Enterprises (John Boorinakis). He made top sockets for my Metz, and did a nice job. He also does bows, and might advise you on your project. These shops are all on Google.

Phil

alsfarms

Re: Top rest or Top saddle......what to do

Post by alsfarms » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:20 pm

Hello Phil, Thanks for your referrals for top bows. My top assembly does not use sockets. It is the type that has solid iron, in place of sockets, that will bolt directly to the bow. I will need to build or buy 48 T strap bolts for those connections. These bolts will be similar to a wood fellow keeper bolt. I have been researching top rest or top saddle.....I just can`t make my mind up as to which style to use. Any ideas?
Alan