Wisconsin 4 Cylinder T head "M" engine

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
alsfarms

Wisconsin 4 Cylinder T head "M" engine

Post by alsfarms » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:29 pm

I have just acquired a project that came with the above listed engine. I have a total basket case and would like a bit of information on repair, service, numbers that probably still exist etc. This is a big brute, with a bore and stroke of 5-3/4" X 7". Help or direct me to someone who may have a working knowledge on this engine type.
Al

hcca
Site Admin

Re: Wisconsin 4 Cylinder T head "M" engine

Post by hcca » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:02 pm

Brute sounds like an understatement. You might contact the Horseless Carriage Library. They may have some technical docs that could be helpful. Beyond that, hopefully someone else can help. The Library's website is http://hcfi.org and you can submit a research request here: https://www.hcfi.org/ResearchRequest.php Good luck and keep us posted.

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:54 pm

Thanks for the note. I will try that HCCA lib. source and also the Detroit Lib. Attached is a few images of the basket case Seagrave that includes the huge Wisconsin engine. I would like to speak with anyone that has or runs one of these engines.
Al
Attachments
DSC00862 (800x600).jpg
Rods
DSC00866 (800x600).jpg
Crankcase
DSC00853 (800x600).jpg
Square Cellular Segmented Radiator

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:31 am

Do any early Stutz owners, with the Wisconsin engine, check in here. I have a few questions about our Wisconsin engines. Drop a note please or direct me to one of the "Experts". Thanks, Al

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:50 am

Just a note for those who may be interested in custom pistons needed for one of our antique engines. I checked EGGE, Carillo, Keith Black and Ross as possible piston suppliers. I found that Keith Black, a subsidiary of United Machine, does not at this time build custom pistons. They are trying to get set up to do so in the near future, it may be worth a check back. They have their shop in Douglas Ariz. Next, EGGE does do pistons, we all knew that, but they are more money and 5 week turnaround. Carillo can also do the king sized pistons but are about the same money are EGGE. Lastly, I checked with Ross Piston. They were the least money and shortest turn around time. This is my learning at this point in time. I need to have the Wisconsin Jugs cleaned up to determine exactly what sized piston to have made. More later on this subject.
Al

Tall

Post by Tall » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:04 am

I have had custom pistons made for several engines in the past. One thing I have learned is that you can get a discounted price if the order is placed through Race Engineering. If you go directly to the piston manufacturer you pay full list price.

Race Engineering is a specialty piston supplier. They deal in many brands, all of whom will compete to get your job. I have purchased custom made Wiseco, Venolia, Ross, and JE pistons through Race Engineering. Typically the time from giving them a credit card number over the phone until your piston ships from the manufacturer is about 7 business days. I have been completely satisfied with the quality and service.

Link: https://www.raceeng.com/

alsfarms wrote:Just a note for those who may be interested in custom pistons needed for one of our antique engines. I checked EGGE, Carillo, Keith Black and Ross as possible piston suppliers. I found that Keith Black, a subsidiary of United Machine, does not at this time build custom pistons. They are trying to get set up to do so in the near future, it may be worth a check back. They have their shop in Douglas Ariz. Next, EGGE does do pistons, we all knew that, but they are more money and 5 week turnaround. Carillo can also do the king sized pistons but are about the same money are EGGE. Lastly, I checked with Ross Piston. They were the least money and shortest turn around time. This is my learning at this point in time. I need to have the Wisconsin Jugs cleaned up to determine exactly what sized piston to have made. More later on this subject.
Al
Do you want a real tomahawk or a rubber tomahawk?

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:47 pm

Hello Tall,
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my need of a piston supplier for the Wisconsin rebuild. I will check with your source and see how they stack up. It would be nice to save some cash as I will be deep in this rebuild before I am done.
Al

F12MAC

Post by F12MAC » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:22 pm

Hi I have used J P Engineering in Australia and found them to be very good quality and the best price http://www.jp.com.au/
Pistons for my E.M.F. were AU$120.00 for each piston, rings included compared to others that were US$3000.00 for a complete set

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:30 am

Hello F12,
Does F12 signify Farmall? I checked with and received a response back from JP. They are not able to delivery the 5-3/4" piston that I need. I will keep them in mind for future projects that use a bit more typical sized piston. Thanks for your time to respond. I do have an F-30 out back, when I get time for it.
Al

F12MAC

Post by F12MAC » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:50 pm

Hi there Al no F12 is a model of a 1912 Mcintyre automobile.When I had the pistons made for my E.M.F i sent a piston down to them so they knew what I required Pete

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:03 pm

Hello Pete,
I, being a farmer, was thinking "tractor" when I saw your handle. Is your car a high wheeler? Are they related to Buick? I do appreciate your reference to JP in OZ. I sent them all the basic spec's. from my 5-3/4" piston. When they responded, they said they couldn't handle the size. I assume that they do not have access to the right size raw forging. I most certainly will check with them on other piston needs I have, but can't find. Is your car up and running?
Al

F12MAC

Post by F12MAC » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:21 pm

Hi its a 40 hp touring restored it about 15 years ago.it runs home made, pistons melted down John Deere pistons.The old timer who helped me or should I say I helped him passed away and the piston grinder I used was sent to the scrap heap and the work involved to cut the ring grooves and wrist pin holes
etc was very time consuming.Then you find out that remelting used pistons there is some alloys that can be burned off and what you think is a proper
piston clearance by the book goes out the window.We had that t head engine down 4 times to take yet another .001 of the piston.You would start it up and wait for it to start squeaking.The first tour we were on could not go more then 30 mph or the engine would seize first time it happened I thought I had realy cooked it put 2 minates later it was unstuck and running,back home and take another .001 off which was the last time and it know runns very well.
So when the next project need pistons it was worth the money that JP charged.Did learn a lot thought,pete

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:47 pm

Hello Pete,
You are my kind of old car guy. I have seriously thought of making my own pistons, for the Wisconsin, and I do have most of the machinery but not a grinder. If you can figure out posting pictures here, I would like to see your car. What is the bore and stroke? Is it a bugger to crank or does it have electric start. I do not have the hand crank for the Wisconsin engine, yet. I have never seen a Mcintyre.
Al

F12MAC

Post by F12MAC » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:31 pm

Al It has 4 1/8 x 5 in. Yes it is hand crank but with a two hand pull you develop a technique. I pull from about 7 to 12 o clock. The mag is a Bosch DU4 and the trick is to advance the mag enough without it kicking back so that it will produce spark at low RPM. Theres pictures on the web if you go in Google images that people posted. Under 1912 McIntyre Its dark blue!

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:23 am

Hello Pete,
I took your advice and looked at pictures or your Mcintyre on Google. You have a nice car. It must be a nice muscular drive with that long stroke engine! I am hoping that the Wisconsin engine can be brought back to life and prove its worth. I have lots to do to get it running.
Regards,
Alan