Modern Replacement Material for Bakelite

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages
alsfarms

Modern Replacement Material for Bakelite

Post by alsfarms » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:18 am

I am in the process of casting some new Locomobile script radiator caps. I remember reading a very nice article, in the HCCA Gazette, on this very subject. Sadly, I do not recall which issue to look in. I have also tried to search the index, of past Gazettes on this website, with not much luck. Can someone here please refer me to the above mentioned article or scan and email me a copy so I can study the process described and material used. Also if anyone here has had good luck home casting from other materials that can replace Bakelite, please drop a note. I do know of a couple of considerations, one, the material must stand up to at least 220 deg f. and two, the material should have UV tolerance so it can stand up to out door use. I guess the third consideration is ease of mixing, pouring and release from the rubber mold of the original part.
Al
alsfarms@hotmail.com

MochetVelo

Re: Modern Replacement Material for Bakelite

Post by MochetVelo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:03 pm

Here's a discussion on the subject which touts Delrin as a replacement material. You'd need to machine it rather than cast, of course. A CNC machine might do it. My Hupmobile cap is also Bakelite (I think) cast over the brass threaded part.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/184751-bak ... -material/

Phil

MochetVelo

Post by MochetVelo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:17 pm

A little further research shows that Bakelite is still made today. You can check the manufacturers on Thomas Register. I think they also make it in Asia.

https://www.thomasnet.com/products/cust ... 804-1.html

Phil

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:23 pm

The problem with Bakelite is the process involved and heat. A small home shop such as mine does not have the capacity to complete a true Bakelite process. That is the reason for the modern casting substitute. Any other thoughts from this group?
Al

Jack

Post by Jack » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:08 pm

Howdy boys, fairly new to the brass cars. I have been working on Model A's for about 30 years, but decided I needed a brass car. I now have two Overlands, 1910 Model 38 Roadster and a 1911 Model 49 Touring. Both need a bunch of work, however, I'm lucky in that the 38 has been rebuilt mechanically. It has a Remy type RL mag the previous owner ran the running frame with several years ago. It of course is not correct, according to Charley Shaver who is the authority on the early Overlands. The original is a Remy type "T", which I have two of and have rebuilt one. I have had two mag mechanics look it over and both say it should fire. I tried it on a mag testing machine and couldn't get any fire out of it. I think I have traced the problem to the distributor cap, as I couldn't get any continuity from the terminals inside the cap, to the outside terminals the plug wires hook up to. My solution to this was have my son, who is a machinist, make a new cap from Delrin. He machined it, drilled holes in it that I have fitted with what is original to the cap, copper on the inside and brass to the plug wire terminals, and looks very good. Since I don't have the means to silver solder the copper wire to the brass, I'm patiently waiting for a shop here in town to do that for me. I will then fit it to the mag and see what I get. I'm hoping for the best. I noticed a thread that mentioned Delrin and wanted to pass on my experience with it.

Now here is my question: The coupling between the mag and the drive from the cam gear is somewhat loose. How much backlash should it have at the intersection? Also, if it's too much, what material could I have my son make a new one out of?

Thanks guys, I appreciate your experience and knowledge!

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:27 pm

Hello Jack,
Can you post a picture or two of your car, the magneto and the new cap that your son built. It would also be good to see the coupling your refer to. We could take a look and see if we could help. Thanks for your experience with the Delrin
Al

Jack

Post by Jack » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:42 pm

Sorry Al, can't seem to figure out posting photos. Can you help me out?

Thanks,

Jack
Attachments
IMG_1437.JPG
AAOI6440.JPG
AAOI6440.JPG

Jack

Post by Jack » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:44 pm

I could be wrong!
Attachments
IMG_1438.JPG
AAOI6440.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:38 am

Hello Jack,
It looks like your are successful in figuring out the picture posting process. The nice thing about using Delrin, as you have, is that your finished part is bullet proof and will last a serious long time unless you abuse the piece in some fashion. Now that you have picture posting down, why don't you start another thread here and make it your own "Overland Restoration Tips and Advice Needed", post a picture or two as you go. It really does help to keep motivated! (and we get motivated also!)
Al

Jack

Post by Jack » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:21 pm

Good idea Al, I'll come up with some things I've done and post it. Thanks!