Fitting Copper Crush Gaskets to plugs

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages
watsekavince

Fitting Copper Crush Gaskets to plugs

Post by watsekavince » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:43 pm

My REO has large plugs in the head that are sealed with copper crush gaskets. The gaskets reside in a groove at the top of the plug that is 2 inches in diameter. To seal, they need to be snug against the 2 inches as the head is only slightly larger. However, the diameter of the threads is slightly larger than 2 1/16. I can't get 2 or 2 1/16 gaskets over the threads and 2 1/8 is too large. I've tried putting the plug in the freezer and the gasket in the oven to no avail. Someone sometime was able to do this.

Any ideas?

watsekavince

Re: Fitting Copper Crush Gaskets to plugs

Post by watsekavince » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:54 pm

MochetVelo

Post by MochetVelo » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:20 pm

Can you post photo(s) of how it fits in the engine?

F12MAC

Post by F12MAC » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:35 pm

I had the same issues with my engine,what I did was used a solid copper ring gasket. In order to install I machined a tapered steel plug and a corresponding plate with a hole machined in it ,then using the plate to hammer the copper ring down the taper you can expand the copper ring bigger until it fits the plug going into the cylinder jug. My engine which is a T head required 8 in total 1 for each valve. Hope this helps. Cheers pete