Jones Speedometer

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
bk2721

Jones Speedometer

Post by bk2721 » Mon May 20, 2019 8:26 am

I recently purchased a Jones Speedometer on E-Bay and need some assistance.
I hooked it up to my drill and it appears to work but may not necessarily be accurate.

I'm not seeing a model number but the serial number at the top face is 254767 and shows a patented date of Sept 22, 1908 see photos for more details.

It's a solid brass case and my question is how do I remove the thick glass and rim in order to clean the face and the back of the glass?
Is the rim threaded to the case or is it a pressed or resistance fit?

I tried to turn it but had no success so I'm hoping someone on the forum can shed some light on the situation.

Thanks in advance, Brad Kline

download/file.php?mode=view&id=1851&amp ... a270e2eed8
download/file.php?mode=view&id=1850&amp ... a270e2eed8
Attachments
Jones speedometer side view20190520_111420.jpg
Jones speedometer front view20190520_110621.jpg

F12MAC

Re: Jones Speedometer

Post by F12MAC » Tue May 21, 2019 6:47 pm

Threaded on cheers Pete

bk2721

Post by bk2721 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:17 am

Thanks Pete.

My next challenge is trying to get it unscrewed. Applied some penetrating oil but so far it hasn't budged. Might see if I can locate a strap wrench to remove it.

Thanks again,
Brad

Locomobile

Post by Locomobile » Thu May 23, 2019 9:25 am

Nice old Speedomoter. I would use a clothes iron and walk it around the edge and heat the ring up a bit. A large ring like that will expand quite a bit. Yep, then use a strap wrench.

-Ron
The car that steams is the car of your dreams Locomobile advertising slogan

jeff deringer

Post by jeff deringer » Thu May 23, 2019 1:25 pm

I've always found that a large pair of water pump pliers does the trick. Make sure you hold the case in the vise so it doesn't escape undamaged either.
Of course then you have a whole new set of problems.... :wink:

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Tue May 28, 2019 9:50 am

Hello Jeff,
That is a nice unit. Pump pliers are good for some things...for sure. But as you mentioned, you WILL have a new set of problems to deal with when used for this application. Have you thought of using an oil filter type strap wrench that has a nice solid but rubber lined strap? I have used my oil filter more times on jobs like this than removing oil filters, (and they are adjustable to a small size like your Speedo ring). Share a picture or two of your resolution and also how you clean the face and polish the back side of the glass.
Al

jeff deringer

Post by jeff deringer » Wed May 29, 2019 11:08 am

alsfarms wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 9:50 am
Hello Jeff,
That is a nice unit. Pump pliers are good for some things...for sure. But as you mentioned, you WILL have a new set of problems to deal with when used for this application. Have you thought of using an oil filter type strap wrench that has a nice solid but rubber lined strap? I have used my oil filter more times on jobs like this than removing oil filters, (and they are adjustable to a small size like your Speedo ring). Share a picture or two of your resolution and also how you clean the face and polish the back side of the glass.
Al
Al,
Guess that was a poor attempt at humor. Somewhat fiction with a lot of experience thrown in.

Jeff

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed May 29, 2019 11:20 am

Hello Jeff,
I caught your intent and tried to follow your lead on the "pump pliers" thought for removing the speedo ring! When I was in my haste as a teenager and before I had a little age and wisdom. I would have been quick to give the pump pliers a try. That is the moment that I l started the learning curve! I can think of similar learning moments with a cold chisel and a nice hammer! Have you been successful in getting off the ring? Here is a question for you. Do you know of any good clock guys out your way? I have a brass dash mount Jupiter key wind clock that needs some love to make work properly again.
Al

jeff deringer

Post by jeff deringer » Wed May 29, 2019 11:48 am

alsfarms wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:20 am
Hello Jeff,
I caught your intent and tried to follow your lead on the "pump pliers" thought for removing the speedo ring! When I was in my haste as a teenager and before I had a little age and wisdom. I would have been quick to give the pump pliers a try. That is the moment that I l started the learning curve! I can think of similar learning moments with a cold chisel and a nice hammer! Have you been successful in getting off the ring? Here is a question for you. Do you know of any good clock guys out your way? I have a brass dash mount Jupiter key wind clock that needs some love to make work properly again.
Al
Brad Kline was the original poster and owner of the speedometer.

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:11 am

OOps.....
Brad, were you able to get the ring off the Speedo without damaging it? If you have been successful, how did you do it. Follow up pictures would be good.
Al

bk2721

Post by bk2721 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:49 pm

Sorry, but to answer your question I haven't gotten the ring around the glass removed yet. I was going to try my oil filter wrench but it is just a bit too small to get it around the bezel.

I just went out and purchased a strap wrench used to tighten or loosen plumbing fixtures where a regular wrench cannot be used. I plan to mount the case on a wooden board for leverage, drilling holes and running screws in the back to avoid damaging it. I've been putting small amounts of penetrating oil on the threads of the bezel using just enough so as to avoid it running into the case or on the dial.

I will report back the results and pictures too. Still not sure how to polish the thick glass but will investigate sending it to a local glass company that buts designs into glass hoping they can polish out the scratches.

Thanks to everyone here who has weighed in with ideas and suggestions.

Brad Kline

S-D

Post by S-D » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:44 am

I suggest that you heat the bezel with your wife's hair dryer all the way around the periphery of the bezel and then use a strap wrench with other than a rubber strap. Older wrenches had a heavy canvas like cloth that had more grip and still would not mar the plating or brass.

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:23 am

Nice idea..... I had not thought of using a woman's hair dryer for a passive heat source. I hope the lens retainer comes off with not much struggle. I will try the hair dryer in the future for delicate and stubborn fixtures.
Al