1901 Le Aster electric starter installation

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages
OldCadillac

1901 Le Aster electric starter installation

Post by OldCadillac » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:35 am

Hi together,

we own a 1901 Le Aster rear entrance tonneau. It has a 2 cylinder 2.5-liter displacement engine. It is a great car but has one problem: It is really hard to turn over the engine because it has atmospheric inlet valves. After one start, I had 14 days problems with my back.

So I would like to install an electric starter. I thought about a cogwheel at the flywheel but the flywheel is very, very close to the frame. Perhaps it would be possible if the cogwheel has the same diameter as the flywheel. But actually I don't want to make changes at the flywheel. I got the hint to install a starter with a flat belt.

Now I am looking for information for such a system. Which starter could I use, looking for pictures for several installed systems... I appreciate all information.
The car has already a 12V battery for the ignition system.

Kind regards

Tom

alsfarms

Re: 1901 Le Aster electric starter installation

Post by alsfarms » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:11 pm

Hello Tom,
Here are a couple of pictures that show two belt drive starter systems that I tried on my Locomobile Model L. This Locomobile engine is a four cylinder and is approx. 300 CI. The first picture shows a vintage 1915-19 Dodge Bros. starter generator. That test worked nicely (great) to start the engine. I just need to adjust the drive/driven gearing so as not to overspeed the unit while driving down the road at 40 mph. The second picture is of a Cub Cadet starter/generator that didn't have enough "umph" do crank the Locomobile engine. I would think the Cub Cadet starter generator would work nicely for your project as it is smaller and would be easier to fit in your chassis. This belt drive starting system is QUIET and certainly does not share the same growl as using a modern starter in an antique automobile. (That is my two cents for what its worth!)
Regards,
Alan
Attachments
IMG_20180630_111355715.jpg
IMG_20180630_111355715.jpg (83.76 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
IMG_20180306_101741482.jpg
IMG_20180306_101741482.jpg (84.87 KiB) Viewed 2358 times

OldCadillac

Post by OldCadillac » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:35 am

Hi Alan,

thank you for the photos and tips.

Do you have still the model number of the cub cadet starter / generator? I would like to know the power of the starter. I have found similar starter here.

The flat belt is a normal one like we use in our modern cars? The ones with "rips" on one side to get grip at the pulley?

Kind regards

Tom

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:43 pm

Hello Tom,
Do an EBAY search for Cub Cadet Starter Generator and you should see several of them available along with the specifications. Yes, the belt we used is a serpentine belt that has ribs on the contact side for grip. Let us know here what you determine. As I mentioned before, it is great to have a "silent" starter that does not sound modern when used on our antique automobiles.
Al

OldCadillac

Post by OldCadillac » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:30 am

Hello Al,

I am sorry for the delay.

On Ebay I found a lot of used starter generator for the cub cadet but not how much power they have as a starter.

At Amazon I found one which looks like the one you have installed on the photo. This one has 0.75 kW. Perhaps this is enough to turn over this engine.

I found also a Dynastarter for ACME on Ebay here, this one has 0,9kW.

I would prefer also a belt starter. It is quit and it is possible to remove all with no problems, if I would decide in years to sell this car.

Kind regards

Thomas