Rebuild Improvements for Reliability 1909 Locomobile

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages
F12MAC

Re: Rebuild Improvements for Reliability 1909 Locomobile

Post by F12MAC » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:36 pm

Should it not be de whiskering. If you have a choice of water Bourne that is good for your health or solvent base which is bad,guess what the bad stuff always gives a superior finish. Cheers pete

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:23 am

Here is a "tip" about preparing wood for final finish and a "GOOD" professional end product. I have learned about a term called de-whiskering that I intend to use on the new red oak coil box I have built. (I hope this link will work).
Al

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:07 pm

Has anyone here used the de-whiskering method or something similar as show in the You Tube video while doing wood refinishing?
Al

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:20 pm

Speaking of restoration improvements for the Locomobile project. I posed a question requesting "Tips" and "Advice" about refinishing a red oak two cylinder coil box. That got me to thinking about the new engine hood sash strips that are mahogany for the Locomobile. I think I will use the same de-whiskering method recommended for the coil box. I am guessing that de-whiskering is suitable for these hood sashes also, along with Spar Varnish. If you have any thoughts, tips or advice, please share. Does Spar Varnish hold up well to elevated temperatures from the relative engine location?
Al
Picture one
Attachments
DSC02080.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:22 pm

The tapered end fits along side the radiator and provides for a nice finished appearance.
Al
Picture 2
Attachments
DSC02079.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:33 pm

More on the wood restoration aspect of an antique automobile. I will be posting a few pictures of my new wooded wheel assemblies for the Locomobile. I will be after "Tips" and "Advice" on what would be the best method to build a template to drill holes for the 25" Firestone wheel rim mounting hardware as well as for mounting the rear brake drums for the rear wheels. I think I have a solid plan in mind but I figured if someone here has a better idea, I am certainly open to suggestions! Pictures will be forth coming.
Al

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:24 pm

Here will follow a few pictures with descriptions that I inferred above regarding my continuing wheel restoration nneds. I will post them one at a time a post a description that directly relates to each picture. Please ad any "Tips" or "Advice" that you can think of or share. This picture shows one of my new rewooded rear wheels for the Locomobile. This wheel type is set up for use with 25" Firestone Demountable/detachable straight side rims components. This picture shows the rear wheel from the outside. You will notice that no holes have been drilled to mount the brake drums or to mount the rim hardware.
Al
Picture 1
Attachments
DSC02089.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:26 pm

This is a picture of the same rear wheel but taken from the inside of the wheel.
Al
Picture 2
Attachments
DSC02086.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:33 pm

I will now show a couple of pictures of the original cast iron brake drum. It was a real "bugger" to get it free from the brake shoe lining. My chassis had set dormant from about 1930 to the time I removed the wheels to allow for new wood. The brake shoe lining and brake drum was "welded" together with rust and corrosion! This picture also shows the 12 mounting holes that are used to fix the brake drum to the rear wheel spokes. The only thing that kept this brake drum centered was the mounting bolt hardware. You would sure hope to have it centered well from the factory. More on my thoughts on later pictures.
Al
Picture 3
Attachments
DSC02081.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:36 pm

This picture shows the severe rust issue I had when I was finally able to extricate the brake drum from the brake shoe lining and hardware. I decided I would go ahead and have new drums cast. More on the new brake drums next.
Al
Picture 4
Attachments
DSC02082.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:14 pm

Here is a picture of one of the new cast iron brake drums, (showing the wider and undrilled mounting flange). I decided to have the mounting flange cast larger so I could machine it to fit against the inner hub flange. By so doing, The concentricity of the brake drum to the wheel will be held in place and supported by the rear inner hub. I do need to set up a jig and drill the 12 mounting holes, in the new cast brake drums to match one on each of the rear wheel spokes. What are you "Tips" and "Advice" for getting the mounting holes in the right place. I figure I can then use the new brake drum, after it has been drilled, as a pattern/jig from which I can drill the matching holes in each of the rear wheel spokes.
Al
Attachments
DSC02083.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:16 pm

Here is a picture that shows the original brake drum sitting in the proper location for bolt up.
Al
Attachments
DSC02085.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:19 pm

Here is a picture of the new cast brake drum in place after I completed the initial machining to clean up the OD and ID as well as to set the ID to fit the inner OD of the rear hub. It is also sitting in the proper location.
Al
Attachments
DSC02087.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:22 pm

Here is another view of the new rear brake drum , sitting in place.
Al
Attachments
DSC02088.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:25 pm

Here is the last picture that shows the drive axle in place, (actually the axle would run through the rear hub not out into space). :-)
Al
Attachments
DSC02090.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:53 am

What torque should I use to hold the hub flanges to the wooden wheels?
Al

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:22 pm

After another "Tip" of bit of "Advice" please. What is the best thing to use to coat these new wheels with before I apply a final finish. I would like to soak them up TIGHT and then use a very good grade sealer before final sanding, detail work and paint. My Locomobile just does not ask for natural wood spoke wheels, I must go with a paint that is color coordinated with the body and fender color.
Al

F12MAC

Post by F12MAC » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:12 am

Al I would check with the person who made your spokes,there is in my opinion too large of gap between some of the spokes that must be addressed,before any refinishing is done. In requards to the torque of the wheel bolts that is a trick question without knowing what material they are made out of and the size and thread fine/course. Hope I don’t come across as too negative.
Cheers pete

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:44 pm

Hello Pete, Thanks for your response. (no not too negative) I have been thinking, before I go much further with the wheels, I may take the hubs out and install some shimming between spokes 90 deg. from each other around the wheel, then push the wheel back together. I don't think the spokes have shrunk and require shimming under the spokes. The wheels are actually nice and tight as is but I do not want any potential looseness to happen after I get done and the wheels are in paint!
Al

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:51 am

More "Advice" requested, What grade bolts/hardware should I use to replace the badly rusted original rim lug mounting bolts and also the carriage bolts for mounting the brake drums to the wheel spokes as shown in the pictures above?
Al