1910 Overland restoration

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages
alsfarms

Re: 1910 Overland restoration

Post by alsfarms » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:19 pm

Jeff, Are you still an Overland guy? As I recall your car/cars are a bit later than 1910? Is your fueling system the same as what Jack is dealing with? Maybe you can share some experience?
Al

jeff deringer

Post by jeff deringer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:51 pm

alsfarms wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:19 pm
Jeff, Are you still an Overland guy? As I recall your car/cars are a bit later than 1910? Is your fueling system the same as what Jack is dealing with? Maybe you can share some experience?
Al
I am! I have a 14 Model 79 Touring and an almost done (for the last 5 years) 15 Model 80 Speedster (Not authentic, but pretty cool). Neither has a Schebler carburetor anymore. I always wondered why my 15 had a shut off valve just before the carb. I thought it looked stupid so I took it off. Then I realized why it was there! I'm light years away from Jack's talent and patience, so I wanted to switch to something different, like what my 14 has, a Tillotson. Naturally, because nothing is easy, due to Overland switching from RHD to LHD in 15 and not changing much else on the engine, no other carburetor I have come up with will fit because of the steering box! The Schebler is oriented so that you can rotate the bowl and hence the fuel inlet to make it fit in many spots a Carter, Zenith, Modern Zenith, Tillotson, etc. will not. So it was time to try to make a short manifold extension that kicked the carburetor away from the steering box. Due to other issues I haven't really given it a fair chance to see how, or even if it will work. However, motivated by this thread, when the snow melts (2 feet currently) and the sun comes out, I'll give it the old college try and report back here.
IMG_1971.jpg
IMG_0392.JPG
IMG_1322.jpg
IMG_1322.jpg (105.3 KiB) Viewed 1458 times

jeff deringer

Post by jeff deringer » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:56 pm

Guess I might as well show the cars too!
DSCN1190.JPG
IMG_2534.JPG

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:05 pm

Jeff, How about your starting your own thread that relates directly to what you have going on, maybe 1915 Overland carb. updates, or the like. We can then watch and chat with you about your project and Jack with his and mine elsewhere as we look for "Tips" and "Advice". I would like to know more about your Tillotson and intake adapter. You are also good with the pictures you have posted, (that is an important ingredient here)!
Al

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:22 am

Howdy boys! Great to hear of another Overland guy! Where are you located Jeff? I'm in Pendleton OR. Looks like a WA plate on the car, so you have no excuse for not attending the WOKR Meet this June. If you need info on it, let me know, I'll email it to you. I'm really going to push to get folks off their duff and come to Pendleton! We're going to have a great time! I like your cars, wish mine were in that condition! Wow! Nice job on the carb extension too. Al, I took those pix with my phone. It does a fair job. I usually have to take several to get one that I feel I can use. Good thing it's not film, or they wouldn't be as good as they are. Digital is amazing! I've been fighting a bad cold this week, so my time in the shop has been limited. I did get the float arm back yesterday, but before I took it home, I noticed he had attached the broken piece upside down, so we had to redo that real quick. Good thing we're buddies! I also bought myself a Drill Dr. Can't wait to try it out. I can sharpen bits, but it usually takes a few tries to get it right. This will be much better! Ok, I'm off an running! A little slower than usual, due to this damn cold...…..

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:25 am

Jeff, what model is that brass carb? I've been looking for a Schebler Model E. Thanks!

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:28 am

Jeff, I just noticed you are in Camas. Do you know Jim Barrett? He is very knowledgeable on mags, coils, etc. He's done several for me, great guy. Next time I'm down that way I'll pay you a visit. You must belong to the Portland group? I am a "distant" member. Thanks!

jeff deringer

Post by jeff deringer » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:40 pm

Jack wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:25 am
Jeff, what model is that brass carb? I've been looking for a Schebler Model E. Thanks!
It is a Model R Schebler. I have an extra if you can't find the E and need it.

jeff deringer

Post by jeff deringer » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:47 pm

Jack wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:28 am
Jeff, I just noticed you are in Camas. Do you know Jim Barrett? He is very knowledgeable on mags, coils, etc. He's done several for me, great guy. Next time I'm down that way I'll pay you a visit. You must belong to the Portland group? I am a "distant" member. Thanks!
I am in Camas. I do know Jim Barrett from my Lincoln experiences. And I do belong to the Portland club although I'm not very active in it since I have 3 kids that are very active in other events! We go when we can.
Regarding the WOKR meet, I was not aware that it was in Pendleton. I would love to come and hope I can make it, but then again, see above! The blue 14 has been on 2 fantastic tours in Pendleton, the HCCA National and the PRG Annual. One of them was hotter than heck! It was 105 I believe on the first day. We headed to Walla Walla, and I was taking it easy in the Overland, along with my wife and 3 kids in car seats in the back! I was getting passed by everyone but told Heather I was going to take it easy, that the heat would take it's toll. Sure enough, we started passing most of the cars pulled over on the side of the road, adding water, steaming, etc. that had passed us. We just kept chugging along at 30 or so. Made it great. That Overland hardly ever even uses a tablespoon of water. It's a good car.
Some days I want to fire bomb the Speedster, and swear I can hear my dad John laughing down from above about starting such a crazy project!

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:15 pm

Howdy Jeff, was that the tour in '03? If it was, I was in attendance as a member of the Blue Mountain A's, our local Model A club. I remember the trip to Walla Walla. It was a hot day. Several of the cars over heated. I remember the trouble truck hauled a couple. Do your best to come to Pendleton! Hopefully having it in late June, we'll have better weather. I might take you up on that carb. I am going to be staying with Don Plumb during the swap meet in April. Maybe I'll see you then. I have swap meet duty one day. Don't remember which day, but I'm sure Jim Gordon will remind me. I didn't get too much accomplished in the shop today. I rebuilt a Model A generator, then worked on the brass carb for a bit. I am now attempting to turn down the needle so I can fit it through the float arm, so as to attach it with a little less trouble. As it is now, I have to put it all in place before I can tighten the bolt into the needle, and it is very tight in there. So, I am going to attempt to turn the needle down so it will fit through a small hole in the arm. That way I can affix it to the arm before I put it all together. I think it will work, I just have to get it down to size. I love working with stuff I can hardly see...……. I'll keep ya posted!

Jack

Post by Jack » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:45 pm

Howdy boys! I'm off to a great start! I put the needle in today, after VERY CAREFULLY bending the arm in a couple different directions to get it level and straight (talk about scary!) I put gas to it, and, leaked, rather RAN out of the valve. So, I adjusted my float, which I can now do pretty easily, tried it again, and WOO HOO! No leaks! It's been setting now for about an hour and we're still good! I'm not breaking out the Pendleton Whisky just yet, as I want to make sure I don't get ahead of myself with over confidence! But, I am very encouraged! I'll check it in a couple hours and make another report. Damn, this is looking good!!

Jack

Post by Jack » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:12 pm

6 hours later and still no leaks! Next step is to get the bolt to stay in place holding the needle. Do any of you know if Loctite will work in gas? I would think it would, but it might soften. Thanks guys!

F12MAC

Post by F12MAC » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:36 am

Jack great work . No not all loctite will work in gas . Go to the loctite web site and look at the TDS ,2466 will work in gas has 125 percent of strength after 500 hrs,lots of info to read best of luck. Pete

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:26 am

Hello Jack, Now that is a good success on which to resolve a particular design issue on your Overland. I guess another test will be running the engine up to temp and with the vibration if it will still hold gasoline. I am going to guess that this issue is "put to bed" now. What will be your next part of the old car puzzle to work on? This is a nice journey thanks for sharing and allowing us to share Tips and Advice along the way.
Al

Jack

Post by Jack » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:23 am

Morning boys! I let it set over night, took a look this morning, and all the gas in the carb was gone. Dripped out and evaporated. But! The good thing is, it came out of the brass valve on the bottom of the carb, and at the connection to the carb. Not out of the float valve!! I will tighten things up this morning and try it again, but I really do think the valve did not leak! This is exciting! Thanks for the info on the Loctite Pete. I have gone to their website, but I didn't run across anything specific to having parts in gas. I'll take another look. Al, the next step is to start the car and see if it will run like it should. I too am concerned about vibration. I did bump the table it was attached to a couple times to see if I could get it to shake loose, which it didn't, but the real test will be when I drive it. WOO HOO!! One more thing guys, I am hosting a WOKR (Willys Overland Knight Registry) Western Region Meet in Pendleton this June and I would REALLY like one or both of you to join us! Send me an email for info. Come on, it's not that far, and we're going to go on 3 great tours! Lots to see in Pendleton! I'll make another report this afternoon. YES!!!

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:56 pm

Hello Jack,
Your success is moving things forward for you. Have you ever done a You Tube video before? If you can, do one of your Overland running and moving as you test your repair and how to dial in your auto, then post it here or at least an active link. My email address is: alsfarms@hotmail.com, sure send over the information or your tour. I need to go to the Medford area sometime in the summer so I maybe it is possible to combine two trips into one.
Al

Jack

Post by Jack » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:33 am

Morning Al, nope, haven't done a You tube. Guess I'd better learn how. Checked the carb this morning and the little brass valve at the bottom of the carb is still seeping just a bit, but not enough to worry about I don't think. The connection to the carb is still giving me fits though. Probably going to have to use some kind of sealant on it. Brass to brass, I thought it would tighten down enough, but can't seem to get it, and I don't want to force it anymore. I plan on putting it on the car today and maybe even get as far as trying to start it. We'll see how it goes with the "other duties as assigned" projects today...…………… I'll get that info to you. Thanks!

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:51 am

Good Morning Jack, Curious about the carb, mounted on the Overland and a test run? If you have been involved with weather, like we have, you have been pushing snow instead of being a mechanic!
Al

Jack

Post by Jack » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:09 am

Morning Al, yup, weather.... Had a big cottonwood fall in our creek I had to get out before the water comes up. Damn that water is cold!! Had to cut it up before I could haul it out with my tractor. Sometimes I forget I'm not 35 years old anymore...… Didn't do anything with it yesterday, rebuilding a Model A starter, that is being more trouble than I thought. I'll finish up this morning, then get back on the carb. After talking to Stan Howe, I've decided to increase the angle on the adjusting needle so as to make it a little less sensitive to adjusting. Makes sense to me. I'll try to get that done today. Stan also suggested putting a couple gaskets under the seat, so one can be removed for adjustment of the float. This is how Model A carb float adjustments are made. Wish I'd thought of that earlier! That's a great idea! Lot easier than adjusting my bolt in the needle, which is how I did it. If I put the gaskets under the seat now, I would probably have to adjust the float again, by bending the arm, which I hate to do. We'll see how it looks once I get it back on the car. Thanks guys!

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:49 pm

Any updates? We are on the edge of our seats, in hot anticipation, to see and learn how your repaired carburetor behaves!
Al