Source for "T" bolts needed

Get help and help others restore and enjoy driving/touring in horseless carriages
alsfarms

Source for "T" bolts needed

Post by alsfarms » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:04 am

I am in the process of building a two man top for my current project. This top is the early type with the irons being dog legged and the bows do not fit into a socket but are simply bolted to the irons. I want to locate a source for a similar "T" bolt that is used to firmly fit a wooden fello to the rim of a car, (as in a Model T Ford). That type of bolt hardware will spread the clamping force of the "T" bolt across a wider cross section and stop any movement which could end up with the bow splitting at the locations where the mounting hardware is drilled through the bow.
Al

pauljac

Re: Source for "T" bolts needed

Post by pauljac » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:17 pm

Hi Al,
Google 9" Ford t bolt and you will find a special bolt used in the Ford 9" rear-end. By googling T bolt and T slot bolt and clicking on images, you will see many variations on that theme.

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:40 pm

Thanks for the help. I did search and can see a bunch of conventional T bolts. For my use I need the arms to be a bit longer so I can heat and form the arms to hold the top bow against the iron.
Al

F12MAC

Post by F12MAC » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:16 pm

Make them.cheers pete

alsfarms

Post by alsfarms » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:29 pm

Hello Pete, Sadly, making these "T" bolts from scratch will probably be what I will be doing. I am OK with a welded joint the tween the "T" strap and the mounting stud or if I choose to use a threaded sleeve so no one will see the threads or nut, just the head of the retaining hardware. Like my Grandma used to say "decisions....decisions"!
Al