New member interested in steam carriages

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
Locomobile

New member interested in steam carriages

Post by Locomobile » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:12 pm

Hey folks.

Just joined this forum and I'm anxious to read through the threads. I have a 1901 Locomobile and like doing car shows with it and giving rides.

-Ron
Attachments
1901 Locomobile photo by Steve Brown (Medium).jpg
At old Old car festival in greenfield Village.
The car that steams is the car of your dreams Locomobile advertising slogan

oldcarfudd

Re: New member interested in steam carriages

Post by oldcarfudd » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:13 pm

Welcome, Ron! Where are you? I don't have anything quite as old as your Locomobile, but I have an '07 one-cylinder Cadillac and a 10-horse 1911 Stanley. Maybe we'll meet up at a 1&2-cylinder tour.

Gil Fitzhugh the Elder, Morristown, NJ

Locomobile

Post by Locomobile » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi Gil,

That sounds a like a good plan, I'm over in Dearborn, Mi. Where and when is the 1&2 cylinder tour held? Are there many steamers that show up?

Thanks, Ron

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:55 am

The HCCA 1&2 will be on the eastern shore of Maryland in September. Very flat roads, but interesting things to see. There's a VMCCA 1&2 in Marysville, OH in early June; you have to be a VMCCA member to join it. Also, talk to John Grace about the Lansing-Dearborn run just before the Old Car Festival. That's two consecutive days of 100 miles each, so it may be tough for your Loco. The New London to New Brighton tour in Minnesota in early August is a wonderful tour, but the main event is 125 miles. It's very well supported, and all the mandatory stops have water for steamers.

I don't know a lot of the steam guys, but Mike May up in Northport is very knowledgeable. If you're looking for support and guidance from someone not too far away, he'd be a good start. And he might direct you to someone closer.

Gil

Locomobile

Post by Locomobile » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:17 am

Gil,

Thanks for the information on those tours.

We talked about doing the Lansing to Dearborn tour last year, but I have to get my vehicle registered i.e. Title and registration and it has to be to operate it on the road. Michigan has this crazy law since the vehicle never had a title, first I had to have it inspected at the police department, did that, to get a title, I went to the SOS, they told me I have to take the vehicle to a dealer and have it appraised and then I have to pay the sales tax on the value of the vehicle, plus since there has never been a title, they said I had to buy a bond for the value of the car. So in other words I didn't get it registered. Not sure how to go about doing it, maybe get someone in another state to register it and get a title and then transfer it back to me. Or maybe just move to another state which is looking better all the time.

Any info on how to get a Title and avoid idiotic state laws?

-Ron

oldcarfudd

Post by oldcarfudd » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:55 pm

Sorry. Not a clue. But I suspect the idea of a friendly deal with someone in a more sensible state might be the way to go. I wonder whether one of the specialty insurers would have some thoughts. Hagerty is based in Michigan. Ask them. I imagine the worst that could happen is that they'd tell you they don't know either.

Gil

Locomobile

Post by Locomobile » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:59 am

Quote: "Hagerty is based in Michigan. Ask them."

That is a good idea, I've thought about calling someone in the capital and talking to them about it. I don't want to have to pay several thousands for a piece of paper that states I own the car. The police department already verified it isn't stolen.

The cop was pretty cool about it, and his reaction was pretty comical when he first seen it on the trailer. He didn't believe me at first that it could be road legal, and I had to explain to him that Michigan has a special antique plate and the car is only required to have what they left the factory with, it doesn't even have a battery, no electric anything.
-Ron

jeff deringer

Post by jeff deringer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:19 am

Locomobile wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:17 am
Gil,

Thanks for the information on those tours.

We talked about doing the Lansing to Dearborn tour last year, but I have to get my vehicle registered i.e. Title and registration and it has to be to operate it on the road. Michigan has this crazy law since the vehicle never had a title, first I had to have it inspected at the police department, did that, to get a title, I went to the SOS, they told me I have to take the vehicle to a dealer and have it appraised and then I have to pay the sales tax on the value of the vehicle, plus since there has never been a title, they said I had to buy a bond for the value of the car. So in other words I didn't get it registered. Not sure how to go about doing it, maybe get someone in another state to register it and get a title and then transfer it back to me. Or maybe just move to another state which is looking better all the time.

Any info on how to get a Title and avoid idiotic state laws?

-Ron
Crazy. I'd most likely just "obtain" a collector plate and go on the tour. If the tour organizers require you to show that stuff, I'd follow along with them anyway. Chances you would have a problem with the law are extremely slim in my opinion. Like the police would know the difference between a Locomobile and a Model T. Roll those dice!

Locomobile

Post by Locomobile » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:37 pm

That would make for a very newsworthy police chase :)

For a large club tours with a other carriages, I would probably take the risk. I would be limited to that though.

Well there are two types of insurance, show insurance and road insurance, I would have no insurance on the road. And too the way the law is regarding the antique cars here. They can be driven to car shows (test drives, which is can be pretty well open to interpretation) and anywhere in the month of August, so it would be only special places and times i.e. rural safe roads with light traffic or sidestreets. But it would be cool to do it legally, these cops around Detroit have very little sense of humor and sorely lacking on benevolence. One guy told me to just hang a orange triangle on the back and tell em you're Amish. :)

There are a lot of neighborhood car shows around here during the week at churches etc, it would be a blast (oops bad term to use when talking about a steamer) - a lot of fun to show up at one of those gatherings. I'd have someone follow me though. I've driven it on busy streets already, she did pretty good, kept up with traffic - or maybe they were just slowing down and gawking in disbelief. For Concourse, we had a to park a few miles away and drive to the show, it was all right turns, so not too difficult.

I already made up my leather license plate, that the state will register, if I could just get the &*#$@ title.
Attachments
20180429_191630_Burst01 (Medium).jpg

jeff deringer

Post by jeff deringer » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:47 pm

Locomobile wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:37 pm
That would make for a very newsworthy police chase :)

For a large club tours with a other carriages, I would probably take the risk. I would be limited to that though.

Well there are two types of insurance, show insurance and road insurance, I would have no insurance on the road. And too the way the law is regarding the antique cars here. They can be driven to car shows (test drives, which is can be pretty well open to interpretation) and anywhere in the month of August, so it would be only special places and times i.e. rural safe roads with light traffic or sidestreets. But it would be cool to do it legally, these cops around Detroit have very little sense of humor and sorely lacking on benevolence. One guy told me to just hang a orange triangle on the back and tell em you're Amish. :)

There are a lot of neighborhood car shows around here during the week at churches etc, it would be a blast (oops bad term to use when talking about a steamer) - a lot of fun to show up at one of those gatherings. I'd have someone follow me though. I've driven it on busy streets already, she did pretty good, kept up with traffic - or maybe they were just slowing down and gawking in disbelief. For Concourse, we had a to park a few miles away and drive to the show, it was all right turns, so not too difficult.

I already made up my leather license plate, that the state will register, if I could just get the &*#$@ title.
Michigan must be very strange then, because I've only had Grundy and Hagerty insurance on many antique vehicles over the years and they have never asked for a title or registration, only the VIN. I drive my cars on the road, to, from, and on tours as well as just for fun. No problem. I understand what you say about the traffic, I'm sure it's bad. I was talking about the Lansing to Dearborn thing, I thought that was a driving tour. I thought you could trailer your car there, unload, and go with the group.
No matter, sounds like you have plenty of fun with it. My friends in Idaho have an '01 or '00 Locomobile steamer as well.

Locomobile

Post by Locomobile » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:57 pm

jeff deringer wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:47 pm
Michigan must be very strange then, because I've only had Grundy and Hagerty insurance on many antique vehicles over the years and they have never asked for a title or registration, only the VIN. I drive my cars on the road, to, from, and on tours as well as just for fun. No problem. I understand what you say about the traffic, I'm sure it's bad. I was talking about the Lansing to Dearborn thing, I thought that was a driving tour. I thought you could trailer your car there, unload, and go with the group.
No matter, sounds like you have plenty of fun with it. My friends in Idaho have an '01 or '00 Locomobile steamer as well.
Yeah, maybe its a Michigan only thing, but Hagerty offers "show insurance" and "driving insurance" and the driving insurance is another hundred dollars. And it just covers legal driving under the Michigan antique vehicle laws. Yes they sell me insurance with no title, just have to give them the engine/vehicle number. It's a pretty good deal too.

The Loco is a lot of fun, really looking forward to driving it again, we've had a long winter here and it looks like it's finally getting overwith.

On the title thing, I'm going to lot out an afternoon and start calling the SOS in Lansing to see if they can find me a loophole or waive the bond bs etc.

Thanks, Ron