Brass Lamp covers

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
Froggies1

Brass Lamp covers

Post by Froggies1 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:48 am

I am tired of polishing brass! Does anybody know of anyone that sell covers for brass headlamps, side lamps, and other brass components for our cars?

oldcarfudd

Re: Brass Lamp covers

Post by oldcarfudd » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Lang's sells protective covers for lamps, carbide generators, speedometers and horns. If you have a Model T or a car with similar-sized accessories, they should do a good job. If you have a great hairy-chested beast, they won't. But Lang's would probably tell you who supplies their stuff, if you need something custom.

Locomobile

Post by Locomobile » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:18 pm

I'm misunderstanding the conversation I think?

Is there some sort of cover that keeps brass from tarnishing? Just covering it unless it is some sort of airtight cover, won't stop that. The only way I know of doing that is using a product called Everbrite. I've used it and it does work.

The finished product looks slightly less attractive than hand polished brass, but it is better than spending a day polishing brass parts which is actually wearing away some of the brass each time.

https://www.everbritecoatings.com/cart/ ... x&cPath=26

-Ron
The car that steams is the car of your dreams Locomobile advertising slogan

Froggies1

Post by Froggies1 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:01 pm

Sounds good. I am not familiar with Langs. Do they sell items for Model Ts? My cars are not Model Ts but their covers would probably work.
Do you by chance have the contact info for them?
Thanks
Jay

cudaman

Post by cudaman » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:03 am

Froggies1

Post by Froggies1 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:44 am

Thanks for the info.
To Locomobile. I have had no luck at all with brass coatings. They always look good for maybe a year and then dark "stains" develop underneath the coating. You can't get rid of the stains because the coating actually protects the stains. The only way to make the lamps look nice is to completely remove the coating which is a pains taking and lengthy process. After the coating is removed you then have to keep the brass polished the old fashion way. I have had coatings applied by professional lamp restorers and have ended up removing the coatings. Unfortuntly, I live in a humid area.

bk2721

Post by bk2721 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:58 pm

This may not be the answer to your question but it is what works for me.

First, let me state that I actually DO like polishing brass. I however do grow a bit weary after polishing off and on for weeks while getting ready for a show only to discover the first items I polished are already looking a bit less so.

Here's my suggestion: Saran Wrap is your friend. After polishing particularly smaller items, I wrap them tightly with Saran Wrap which adheres beautifully to the metal. I also apply it to my freshly polished brass windshield frames. Larger items are encased in plastic bags tied tightly with a twist tie which effectively limits the tarnishing elements from reaching the brass. I do have cloth covers for my lamps, horn, and acetylene generator and would use them primarily for over the winter storage. I was still finding however some limited amounts of tarnish in the spring so I started first wrapping things in the plastic bags or Saran Wrap and still apply the covers too. They are tight enough to help keep the plastic in place plus the covers provide protection from any impacts.

My second bit of advice is my polishing regimen. I know. I know, there are unlimited combinations and opinions out there on what works best.
I've tried quite a few and here's what I think does the best job.
First, Wizard's Metal Renew is a fantastic polishing product for many metals including brass. It's not the most aggressive product and works best on brass that does not have heavy tarnish and has had some polishing in the past. It works great on many metals like aluminum plus has a pleasant cherry smell to entertain you while you shine.

Once I've finished using Wizard's I go over everything with Nevr-Dull followed by a final buffing with a clean microfiber towel. The Nevr-Dull gets the shine to the highest level and yes, some will argue I'm polishing twice. The Nevr-Dull however goes on easily and fairly quickly and I have found I do much less polishing than in the past by following these routines. There is some minor touch up needed here and there but for the most part everything stays very nice and fresh looking.

By the way, polishing is a great pastime. Grab a Harbor Freight moving blanket, remove your Brass Era car headlight etc. take both to your favorite recliner along with your polish and rag and grind away while watching your favorite show or it may just get you through MSM blather.
In the end, your car will love you for it.

Brad K.

Locomobile

Post by Locomobile » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:41 am

Everbrite works for me, haven't noticed any blotching. I don't use it on everything, like with most coatings, surface prep is important. Keep something in mind, every time a valuable rare antique brass item is polished, some of the material is removed. That is why in some old lamps, the brass is paper thin. The best thing to do for brass for true lasting luster without all the polishing is gold plating, and it's not as expensive as one might think.

Anderson Silver plating

http://www.andersonsilverplating.com/

The best metal polish I've ever found and have been using it for over 40 years is Happich Simichrome.

Amazon has it

Check the 5-star feedback with 1500 comments.

-Ron

Froggies1

Post by Froggies1 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:04 am

Thanks for the advise. I just finished polishing for a car show and tour coming up in a couple of weeks. It had been four years since I had polished the brass on this car so you can imagine what it looked like. I used "Met-All" brand brass and copper polish but maybe I'll try something else y'all recommended for my other brass era car. I did order the covers from Langs. I know they won't prevent the tarnish from reoccurring but hopefully it will slow down the process. I drive the car several times a month year round--I live in a warm climate--so I think the covers can be quickly removed and put back on. The Saran wrap sounds like it would work but it would be better for cars that are stored for longer periods.
Happy Polishing!
Froggie

Locomobile

Post by Locomobile » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:10 pm

Try that Happich Simichrome, you'll be sold on it. I've suggested it to people and they tested it against other polishes, it always provides a better result. That is what we used to polish out our aluminum sideplates on motorcycles, makes them look like chrome. It's weird stuff, fast acting, but doesn't scratch. I've used it for rubbing compound on paint after wet sanding.

-Ron

Froggies1

Post by Froggies1 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:17 pm

OK--I ordered a can of the Happich Simichrome polish and I did a test. I polished different parts the same brass lamp with that product and equal parts with MET-ALL brass and copper polish. Different parts were polished half and half with both products on the same lamp. After that test I couldn't tell any difference between the two. They both did a good job but I would call it a tie. They are both on Amazon. A 16 oz can of MET-All costs $19.95. An 8.82 oz can of Hppich simichrome is $27.49. Do the math. I'll stick with the MET-ALL.

Locomobile

Post by Locomobile » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:50 pm

That Met-all sounds pretty good too, I'll try some of that in the future, Thanks,

-Ron

MochetVelo

Post by MochetVelo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:16 pm

There is also "anti-tarnish silver cloth" used to prevent oxidation in silverware. I'm not sure if this works for brass, however.

Phil