1909 Lambert rear axle lubrication question with pictures

Find answers to all of your automotive questions here
Hoytlambert

1909 Lambert rear axle lubrication question with pictures

Post by Hoytlambert » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:09 am

Hello, as I have posted earlier, I am restoring a 1909 Lambert and am a novice trying to get information on the lubrication of my rear axle. From what I have traditionally seen, the lubrication is usually done with grease cups over the bearings that get turned down periodically. On my car, the lubrication access points are spring loaded points that pull up thereby exposing an access hole that appears to take oil. The front king pins also have this feature. The bearings on the inner and outer portions of the rear axle are the long Hyatt roller bearings that I have traditionally packed with heavy bearing grease. My question is what type of lubrication was this (liquid type graphite?). Would you switch over to grease cups with zerks possibly? Also while I am posting, one axle has damaged threads on the end where its so worn, you can hardly see them anymore. Is it possible to build it back and rethread or just have a new axle made? Thank you for any advice.
Hoyt Lambert
Attachments
IMG_20191119_064958.jpg
IMG_20191119_065012.jpg
IMG_20191119_044431.jpg
IMG_20191119_044340.jpg
IMG_20191119_044401.jpg

Pat Farrell

Re: 1909 Lambert rear axle lubrication question with pictures

Post by Pat Farrell » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:10 pm

On the axle threads. It is an easy weld up and to cut new threads. I have done it many times. My concern is the rest of the axle. That area looks pitted and distressed in the photo. This distressed area is not an easily welded up without causing stress and warpage. If it isn't as bad as it looks in the photo, then OK, otherwise, make a new axle out of 4130, 4140 or comparable steel. I have had broken rear axles and a broken axle is terribly dangerous and it can quickly ruin your tour day and your ride. Many of our old cars were oiled daily through their oil cups with nothing much more than 30 wt. motor oil. Some of the very early cars were hand oiled every 50 miles.( In example, most Stanleys up through 1908.) Our modern lubricants are far superior to the lubricants that were used 100 years ago. Caution on the zerk fitting on the rear axle bearing. Too much grease gun use there and your rear inside brake shoes will become loaded with grease. Then.... Help! No brakes!

Hoytlambert

Re: 1909 Lambert rear axle lubrication question with pictures

Post by Hoytlambert » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:54 am

Thank you for the information you provided. I do think I will explore a new axle. It is in better shape than the picture shows however I think the safety aspects overweight the cost. I was unaware of the oiling frequency but knowing now, its not unreasonable so I believe I will favor the original oiling of the axle bearings and just do it every 50 miles or so like you have suggested. Its also my thought that the frequent oiling will wash out any dust that might gather however that may be misguided.
Hoyt Lambert